On 22 Nov 2010 at 18:04, NoOp wrote:

On 11/22/2010 10:10 AM, Ian Lynch wrote:
Is the take over of Novell going to affect the document foundation?

Actually, isn't this sort of thing the reason TDF was created to begin with?

Absolutely - I'm wondering if this is a case of Microsoft taking over Novell 'by proxy'.  Do MS
have any influence over Attachmate?

If this is effectively a MS takeover, it's not a huge surprise - MS have been working with
Novell/SUSE for a few years and being able to influence a major Linux distro would be a
major asset for MS.  What are the chances of MS Office for Linux (SUSE only), anyone?
From a sysadmin POV, this might be nice in the short-term - improved interoperability with
Windows Server and so on.  From a Free-as-in-speech perspective, it makes me very glad I
do not use SUSE.

If it's simply a case of the MS doing some asset-stripping, I'd be concerned.  It's only a
matter of time before MS, on behalf of 'the community' of CSTN, starts squaking about
patents, FUD and so on.

With respect to TDF, any new code needs to be submitted on a clear understanding that
patents either transfer to TDF/FSF/etc, to be made 'open', or patents will never be enforced
on submitted code or derivatives of that code.  Maybe the GPL already does that - I'm no
expert.  I do know MS will repeat the SCO patent bullsh*t again.

MS make some great products.  They also operate like the Mafia.