----- Original Message ----

From: Robert Boehm <boehm.robert1@gmail.com>
To: discuss@documentfoundation.org
Sent: Sun, November 28, 2010 1:14:38 PM
Subject: Re: [tdf-discuss] Survey: Usage of LibreOffice components

On 11/28/2010 12:09 PM, Sebastian G. <bastik> wrote:
I'd like to  know which components are most used and maybe why others are
not. If you used  OpenOffice before you can include your usage data as well.

This is more or less private.  There's no goal (other than to satisfy my
curiosity) of this survey, but someone  might use it for it's own purposes. e.g.
discussing about changing installer  defaults, creating a light installer... and
so on.

I start  (OpenOffice usage included):

Writer = 90%
Calc =  09%
Impress = 01%
Draw = 00%
Base = 00%
Math =  00%

Writer - 80%
Calc  - 18%
Impress - 1%

Base - well, I'd rather use a full RDBMS, if I need an interface I'll write one.
Base/MS-Access has no use for me. Though I will probably use Base to access some
old Access MDB's I have laying around from years ago.
Math - I don't do formulas, so no.
Draw - haven't used it yet

I mostly do spreadsheets, documents, and some occasional presentation slides.

Do  you use the quick starter?

I don't use the quick starter.
Do not use Quickstarter because the  computers are fast enough
that it's not necessary.

+100. I turn off all these things. I also review the start-up stuff on my
Windows systems every now and again and remove anything I do not know and
anything I think is unnecessary - even if it doesn't have a sys-tray icon.
Removing this would be one more step for the good of all software users.

It is never necessary to pre-load a program so as to make users _think_
(perception) that the software loads faster than it really does. If such steps
are necessary, then the codebase needs to be reworked to actually _be_ faster.

I use OOo (for now) at home exclusively; though I do have to use in conjunction
to MS Office at work; at least for converting DOC files from ODF. I do the
conversion via OOWriter, but then have to go clean-up the cross-references, etc.
in Word to ensure everything is correct.

Ben