On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 09:27 -0800, Carl Symons wrote:

I use LibreOffice, but I don't use an "office productivity solution"
(c&p'd from Mission). What's needed is a phrase that accurately and
succinctly provides a conceptual container for LibreOffice elements.
Something that connects for users. To me, "office productivity
solution" or "office suite" sound like overblown marketing (no offense
meant by that).

I agree that the terms "office productivity solution" and "office suite"
are problematic. But note that the vision/mission statements are not
directed at the public, but to the project. That means clearness trumps
catchiness.

How the vision/mission statement and values as a whole or in aspects can
be communicated to the public is a secondary issue.

"LibreOffice" already locates the products in the Office world. It may
be that people now associate "Office" with the kinds of tasks that
LibreOffice supports. But how about a student paper, a recipe
collection, and other activities that are not really done at or in an
office?

Be it MS Office or any other office suite, the tools are used in other
contexts as offices, no doubt. However, I would like to avoid pulling in
multimedia authoring, scientific computing and enterprise-grade database
management with a too broad statement ;)

How about just a simple statement of the LibreOffice components?
Suggestions below, none of which do the trick for me, but maybe a
trigger for more creative people...

As mentioned, the statement should focus on the needs and wants to be
addressed, not specific solution. Listing the components implies that
they are the correct solutions as is.

LibreOffice Tools for Work
Software for writing, presenting and record-keeping
LibreOffice Collection
LibreOffice Tools for (the) People

"writing, presenting and record-keeping" might hit what it actually is
about pretty well.

Thanks!

--
Thorsten Wilms