Hi T.J.!

Am Dienstag, den 02.11.2010, 13:05 -0500 schrieb T. J. Brumfield:

I truly believe the current approach works and should be maintained,
but
improved. There might be some slight tweaks in how the menus are
organized.
Toolbar defaults might be optimized. And the overall UI could be
shined up
with some gloss, new icons, gradients, spot color, etc.

Many people asked itself whether some tweaks might make the current UI
more usable in the long-run. To make a long story short: no.

To address some of your points:
      * Visual Design: New icons / gradients / gloss doesn't improve the
        interaction quality, people rely on. We might only get a short
        positive effect, but no improvement. People will notice that :-)

      * Cleaning: When designing functionality for the UI, one will
        notice that the menus itself are the problem. We have far too
        many small "atomic" features combined with "workflow related"
        topics. Here, our UI doesn't scale (The "where to put" problem
        comes up quite regularly). Thus, in the meantime (e.g. the
        Renaissance Team) improves selected workflows that will finally
        lead to a better menu structure (because you won't need some of
        the options any more). But after all, too many features and the
        (for this kind of application) "wrong" interaction concept.

      * Defaults: There is work done on that - the Renaissance team
        works on "Better Defaults" already and RGB ES did also propose
        to work on better defaults (as he also mentioned). This is a
        very good start - defaults and templates are two dark
        chapters ;-)

      * Step-by-step improvements: I hope that we'll be able to improve
        many things - besides the menus. For example, Mirek put in some
        nice ideas ...

Cheers,
Christoph