Many people (students, scholars, technical writers, etc) want a word proce
ssor,
but with much greater indexing and authoring tools (You could involve Univ
ersities as partners?).

Would that perhaps be reinventing the wheel a little - perhaps some
would find LaTeX and associated utlities useful?

Tremendous support already in many universtity and other communities.

LiBOwould like OOO export to LaTeX (?)  and then LaTeX's author tools,
which are top rate and provide extensive capablilities, can produce
industry standard .pdf or .ps

http://theoval.cmp.uea.ac.uk/~nlct/latex/

http://code.google.com/p/texworks/

http://www.latex-project.org/