 On 07/10/10 04:56 PM, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 15:24 -0700, Andy Brown wrote:
On Thu Oct 07 2010 15:18:23 GMT-0700 (PDT)  Scott Furry wrote:
  Is anybody else concerned by the fact that emails are in clear in the
list archives (not to mention easily delineated by angle brackets)?
All mailing list archives are in plain text.  Did you not read the
warnings when you singed up?
I'm sorry Andy, what warnings are you talking about.
Clicking on the "subscribe" link from the site window just brings up an email client window. And the site privacy statement doesn't given state anything specific about forum contributions.
IIRC, the warnings say that all the *messages* can be read in a public
archive. Scott is talking about the email *addresses* on those messages
in the archives. Many of the other lists that I subscribe to have the
email addresses given as something like jean@xxxxxxxx in the archives.
However, the OOo archives have them in plain text. I don't know about
gmane and the others.

To answer Scott's original question: It's not something that concerns me
personally. My many email addresses are all over the internet, so having
my address harvested from another list makes no difference. I get a
zillion spam messages a day, almost all of which gmail filters out for
me.

--Jean
Thanks for clarify my point, Jean. I should have asked about "email addresses". Again, I didn't see a warning message. Did I sign up too early in the process?
I don't have the same faith in gmail filters as you do.

Regards,
Scott Furry