I think the GUI is okay the way it is. I strongly believe that changes
should be introduced in an incremental fashion. To this end, I think
Project Renaissance has made some headway and it should be sustained and
implemented in the future versions of LibO. For now (the upcoming
release or two), LibO development should concentrate more on tidying up
the code and improving stability and performance.

However, I agree that the icons and buttons look a bit aged and can use
some modernization. I am looking forward to seeing Per's PDF.

Cheers!
Vamsi.