[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [board-discuss] 'Free Beer' Office?
- Subject: Re: [board-discuss] 'Free Beer' Office?
- From: Mike Saunders <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 10:02:00 +0200
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
On 25/07/2020 09:58, Andreas Mantke wrote:
> for those who complains about LibreOffice campains stating free (like
> free beer), here is a current example from the official LibreOffice account:
This is actually an image from an older campaign, before we started to
reduce usage of the word "free". The reason I reused the image there was
because there was a flurry of tweets around Microsoft's subscription
models, and people asking about alternatives. So I quickly dug out that
In general, I have cut back on promoting the "free as in beer" messaging
on social media. Still, it can be very useful for some targeted
messaging, such as showing OpenOffice users that there's a much more
up-to-date alternative. I tried doing this without any mention of
"free", but kept getting the same response: "Yeah, but is LibreOffice
free like OpenOffice"?
And, of course, "office software available for use by anyone free of
charge" is part of our statutes.
But I agree that constantly emphasising the "free as in beer" part is
counter-productive to the project as a whole. I spend more time now
engaging in discussions to highlight that the software isn't made for
free, and focusing on LO in terms of the community rather than just the
To unsubscribe e-mail to: email@example.com
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/board-discuss/
|Re: [board-discuss] 'Free Beer' Office?||Telesto <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|[board-discuss] 'Free Beer' Office?||Andreas Mantke <email@example.com>|
- Prev by Date: Re: [board-discuss] 'Free Beer' Office?
- Next by Date: [board-discuss] Agenda for TDF Board meeting on Friday, 31st July at 1300 Berlin time (UTC+2)
- Previous by thread: Re: [board-discuss] 'Free Beer' Office?
- Next by thread: Re: [board-discuss] 'Free Beer' Office?