Re: [board-discuss] Initiative to improve communication channels

El 2020-07-18 12:01, Telesto escribió:
Decidim allows to enrich spaces for participation through multiple
available components (surveys, proposals, follow-up of results,
comments and several more).

-> True; as - I think I said - no experience with all participation
tools.. Did try decidim quickly today.  I personally find
https://try.decidim.org not utmost attractive visually (not judging
the functionality, capability's or scale ability). Another part is a
full fetched participation environment really needed. Or is it rather
overblown functionality nobody actually gonna use. The number of
active commenting users isn't extremely large; and the number
responding here even lower.  Even polls at
https://planet.documentfoundation.org/ attract representative amount
of users. I happy already with kind of comment board showing depth (so
responds too) and a moderation score (the moderation can be done by
anyone logged in at the site). Gray means Off-topic / irrelevant; +3
Spotlight. In addition can a vote be added; to support/unsupported.
And maybe a poll functionality Are more options actually needed? I'm
would be quite happy with forum/ bulletin board with decent comment
functionality and possibly to support a comment and/or prioritizing
comments.

This e-mail message board is not my type of thing.  Unstructured, hard
to go through. Bug tracker message system is already a lot better. And
a message board with comments (which easily show who is responding to
what and being able to filter based on votes and or moderation score)
is perfect already. The 'voting'/ supporting should be enough for non
fluent people, I think. And message board maybe even be translated too
by some automatic translation site. Quality is often quite acceptable.
Visa versa people could use a translation side to write their opinion
in native language, while being automatically translated to English
with some  'heading: automatic translation" and the source text below.
That's what I do if there is a posting of a bug in
Spanish/French/German.

And it could environment could be used also on
blog.documentfoundation.org. As I'm talking about message board with
same functionality (except slightly improved comment system). So to
backend or the whole site could shared. Without bloating everything
with again a new environment for participation. Including maintaining
(security updates/ configuration)/ moderating etc. And all the
comments can also send as e-mail message to the e-mail archive if
people like nabble/mailings.

Fair enough,

In my opinion, one cannot always depend on translation tools to say something. I usually use them, but many times it is necessary to make adjustments to bring the translated text closer to what you really want to say.

The case of translating text is different, since even if it is not the best result, the idea can be understood.
But that's just my opinion.

In addition, I believe that a full participatory environment is necessary. In principle, because it concentrates different tools on a single platform.

Regarding the mentions about updates and maintenance, I have already expressed my willingness to add my collaboration if necessary.

I also believe that when everyone can feel the benefits of such a platform many people will welcome it.

--
DAR