Re: [board-discuss] How is TDC compelled to keep the user first?

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 4:32 AM Brett Cornwall <brett@i--b.com> wrote:

> I believe that Canonical is related here because, like TDC, the proposal
> appears to be that a for-profit entity be given exclusive rights to a
> trademark to a supposed community-owned product. Like TDC, Canonical's
> founding idealized Shuttleworth's pessimism that free software could
> survive without a for-profit entity as its protector.

That assertion about TDC is also incorrect. Far from the implication you
make, TDC is being granted only the necessary rights to act as TDF's agent
in the app stores. Nothing more. TDF still controls the overall LibreOffice
trademark, and TDF also licenses it to other entities in the ecosystem like
CIB, Collabora and the retailers of various clothing. The license is
exclusive *only* *in the app stores*, and that is because TDF will also be
acting against knock-off apps selling the brand in ways that reflect poorly
on LibreOffice. Again, the attempt to equate this to Canonical is very
unhelpful, although your parting shot is illuminating.

S.