Re: [steering-discuss] Community bylaws

Hello David,

Le Tue, 23 Nov 2010 04:20:48 +0800,
David Nelson <commerce@traduction.biz> a écrit :

> Hi Charles, :-)
>
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 00:18, Charles-H. Schulz
> <charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
> > thank you a lot for this!!!
>
> No problem. I've got a watch on the page, and will visit whenever
> there's a change then. ;-)

:-)

> >> 1) "(however, ESC members who are also members of the BoD can only
> >> cast one single vote in this election, regardless of their
> >> membership of both bodies)": So which body do they cast their vote
> >> in? How and when is that decision taken? The choice could change
> >> the outcome of the voting.
> >
> > Right, that sounds clunky so let me clarify: members of the ESC who
> > are also members of the BoD only vote at the BoD and not at the
> > ESC. Is it better?
>
> I understood what you meant, no problem there. The ambiguity is how
> the decision is taken about which body they vote on... Especially as
> throwing their vote in on one body or the other could maybe weight the
> election in one direction or another, and change the result. My
> suggestion was that it would be good to lay down unambiguous rules for
> this...

yup. But after Michael's points, I also think we might clarify and
simplify all this a great deal. In a nutshell

1) the ESC does not get to vote, it's not elected, and it's a technical
body. The AB can propose candidate(s), but cannot vote.
2) BoD appoints the CH, by vote or by consensus. People can nominate
themselves and send their nomination to the BoD no later than 2 months
before the election date. The AB can also nominate one or several
candidates and sends the name(s) to the BoD no later than 2 months
before the election.

That way, it's easier and faster. Any thoughts?

Best,
Charles.

--
Charles-H. Schulz