Re: [steering-discuss] Community bylaws

Hi Drew,

On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 07:56 -0500, drew wrote:
> May I ask here then, the term 'release team' is used above and this is a
> question that has been on my mind for a few days.

Ah - the GNOME 'release team' is about as close as GNOME gets to having
a central body that stewards direction: mostly by deciding what new
modules to include into GNOME. LibreOffice is rather different - and I
think would benefit from having a central group of component maintainers
and companies to co-ordinate development.

> I suppose this is a question specifically for Michael, but not
> exclusively so.

:-)

> The ESC, do you see this as a very active group, for instance working as
> the release team, meeting often and looking at individual issues?

Wrt. looking at individual issues, probably not - unless they have wide
reaching consequences; but to better co-ordinate on the burning issues
of the day, and have a final say on things like:

"Do we port entirely to Java" (I think 'no' but ... ;-)

And to be a responsible backstop for technical issues - which often
simply require a decision - any decision being far better than none.

Wrt. having a separate release team for LibreOffice - that makes a lot
of sense too, though I don't know that it needs to be that formal, and
should include all those whose job it is to get builds out there.

Regards,

Michael.

--
michael.meeks@novell.com <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot