Board of Directors Meeting 2022-08-08

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2022-08-08
Meeting Minutes

Location: Jitsi

Session chair: Thorsten Behrens
Keeper of the minutes: Stephan Ficht

In the meeting:
     Board Members - Thorsten Behrens, Gábor Kelemen, Cor Nouws, Paolo Vecchi, Emiliano Vavassori
     Board Deputy Members -
     Membership Committee Members -
     Membership Committee Substitute Members - Uwe Altmann
     Team - Stephan Ficht, Florian Effenberger, Sophie Gautier
     Community -

Representation: none

AI everyone: revisit representation statement, now that Gabor is full member

The Board of Directors at time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 5 Board of Directors members are attending or represented in the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The meeting is quorate and invitation happened in time. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 3.

Any updates regarding director affiliations & statements of conflicts of interest for agenda items:
* no changes, current affiliations see election page:
    https://elections.documentfoundation.org/2021-board/candidates.html

The public meeting commences at 16:04 UTC / 18:04 Berlin time.

## AGENDA:

### Public Part

1. Answering questions from the community (tdf-board, 5 mins)
     Rationale: Provide an opportunity for the community to ask
     questions to the board and about TDF

+ 25 items on the BoD to do list (Uwe)
    + are they published?
    + work in progress (Cor)
    + collected during Berlin offsite (Thorsten)
    + still on progress wrt ranking (Thorsten)
    + do the ranking at LibOCon? (Uwe)
      + ask community
      + what is community, or subset of community? (Cor)
    + what most important item to do wrt to workshop? (Uwe)
    + MC survey from last September (Cor)
      + also use the outcome of that survey when working on our ranking
    + can't use to much time here (Thorsten)
    + AI, Thorsten provide list of ranked items by next board call
    + workshop about what TDF is, 'free' vs. 'not free' (Paolo)
    + resume about the starting point (Uwe)
      + review what was meant initially, statutes, etc.
      + ask Florian who's been involved from the beginning, ask Mike Schinagl too (Uwe)
      + happy to (Florian)
    + good to have all in one meeting (Thorsten)
      + focusing mostly on what we want in the future

2. Status Report, Discuss: Status: LibreOffice in the app stores
     (Florian Effenberger, 5 mins)
     Status report and various ongoing discussions

     * current status & timeline
       * preparations (for 7.3.5) done
       * need EUR price for Apple (have ~9 USD, not sure we can use that with our account)
        * Microsoft: 4,59 € (e-mail Thorsten August 4)
        * Apple: 8,99 € (late April/early May screenshot)
       * PR in discussion, Italo to finalize
       * vouchers in generation, but Apple limited to 100
       * discussion on upgrade cycle below
       * can use our trademarks in both stores now, tax forms handled as well
       * happy to get further localization
       * have Cloph on the phone tomorrow to discuss progress, also joint meeting board/team tomorrow to discuss missing details
     * upgrade cycles - how many updates will users get?

+ preparations done (Florian)
    + same for pricing
    + PR ready
    + vouchers
    + define upgrade cycle
    + clarify last bits tomorrow
+ timeline? (Thorsten)
+ ready to push the button (Florian)
+ need ~24h to be available in the app store (Thorsten)
+ tell people what they get (Paolo)
    + need to decide beforehand (Thorsten)
    + clarify precisely (Paolo)
+ wouldn't push to much (Thorsten)
+ tell that we plan updates (Cor)
    + you buy as is
    + TDF reassuring
    + anything else will delay
    + so we don't kow what we are selling? (Paolo)
    + just tell 'we will make efforts to provide regular updates' (Cor)
+ agreement to delay publishing to clarify upfront? (Thorsten)
    + selling proposal could change from one day to another
    + would not delay publishing
    + we should clearly state (Paolo)
    + Paolo objects publishing? (Cor)
      + clearly no (Paolo)
    + first start we can learn from experience as said before (Cor)
+ let's leave as is (Thorsten)
+ ready within ~2 days (Florian)

===
       * summary:
       * status of consent (none, poor, mostly, full): mostly
       * next step(s):

3. Vote, Discuss: Merged developer proposal (tdf-board, Jan
     Holesovsky, 10 mins)
     * should the merged proposal be ready
     * have a last round of discussion
     * if conclusive - vote & budget for it

+ ready to vote on Paolos version (Paolo)
+ seems to have no version supported by both (Thorsten)
+ some items that have been copied over have explanation on why they shouldn't be there (Paolo)
    + will read that (again?) (Cor)
+ wait for another two weeks to finalize (Thorsten)

===
       * summary:
       * status of consent (none, poor, mostly, full): poor
       * next step(s):

4. Status Report: LibreOffice conference planning (Florian
     Effenberger, 5 mins)

* all going well
* hotel reservations done by Italo, invoices for this (and community dinner) paid today
* wrt. talks, Sophie should have numbers
* same for conference invites, Sophie has status
* working on sponsorships, currently have two or three
* team has a quick sync call tomorrow afternoon 1530
* Android app in progress (like for last year's event)

+ 37 proposals of talks (Sophie)
+ invites under control
+ sponsorship on their way
+ some remote talks
+ if need is contact BoD

===
       * summary: all in good progress
       * status of consent (none, poor, mostly, full): full
       * next step(s):

The public meeting ends at 16:35 UTC / 18:35 Berlin time.

### Private Part

5. Status Report: HR topic (Florian Effenberger, Stephan Ficht, 5 mins)
     Reason for privacy: HR, tax and legal topics.

===
       * summary:
       * status of consent (none, poor, mostly, full): full
       * next step(s):

6. Status Report: Hiring web developer (Florian Effenberger, 5 mins)
     Reason for privacy: HR, tax and legal topics.

===
       * summary: in progress
       * status of consent (none, poor, mostly, full): full
       * next step(s):

7. Vote, Discuss: Elect new deputy chairperson (Thorsten Behrens, 25 mins)
     Reason for privacy: legal topics.

     After Caolan's step-down, the board needs to elect a new deputy
     chair. On request, might be board-only, thus at the end of the
     call.

===
       * summary: deputy chair elected is Emiliano Vavassori accepting his role
       * status of consent (none, poor, mostly, full): full
       * next step(s):

8. Discuss: Last minute item(s) (tdf-board, 0 mins)
     Rationale: if there is time left, and anything is popping up after
     sending the agenda

+ pandemic situation wrt meetings (Florian)

===
       * summary: ongoing discussion
       * status of consent (none, poor, mostly, full): mostly
       * next step(s):

The public meeting ends at 17:12 UTC / 19:12 Berlin time.

Thorsten Behrens (Session chair)
Stephan Ficht (Keeper of the minutes)