The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2020-10-23
Session chair: Lothar Becker
Keeper of the minutes: Stephan Ficht
In the meeting:
Board - Lothar Becker, Daniel Rodriguez, Emiliano Vavassori, Cor
Nouws, Michael Meeks, Thorsten Behrens (from 13:10 on)
Board Deputies - Paolo Vecchi, Nicolas Christener
Team - Stephan Ficht, Florian Effenberger, Sophie Gautier, Olivier
Hallot, Heiko Tietze (from 13:19 on)
Community - Michael Weghorn
Representation: Nicolas Christener for Franklin Weng
subject "Representation statements")
Chairman of the Board is in the meeting. One of the Chairman or Deputy
Chairman is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.
The Board of Directors at time of the call consists of 7 seat holders
without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of
the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of
Directors members are attending the call.
The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in
the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and
invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.
The meeting is quorate and invitation happened in time. From now on,
motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those
remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.
The meeting commences at 13:04 Berlin time.
1. Q&A: Answering Questions from the community (All, max. 10 min)
Rationale: Provide an opportunity for the community to ask questions
to the board and about TDF.
* Olivier: Discussion about dropping LibreOffice Online from the
* Am not in favor of this. LOOL code, documentation, wiki pages
etc. are assets of the foundation.
* As such, foundation is custodian of the content, should neither
erase nor drop existing contents.
* Understands decision is way beyond the board.
* All these assets contain energy of members and constituents of
* Begs to not delete, drop or erase any contents of LibreOffice
2. Discuss: Focussing and prioritizing, sorting goals and action items
for the board in the light of LibO Con meetings (Lothar/Florian, All 20min)
Rationale: Answering questions, discuss situation, suggest further
steps with it, suggestion was: identify 5 most important and fokus
energy/time on them and to bring them first to results, rest on hold
until new weighting (after 6 weeks)
* Lothar: Need to have all items on the lists that are urgent or
important or both.
* Running tenders should not be on the list, it's clear that they
need to be worked on. ODF delta is published, X-ray in evaluation, so is
* No explicit results expected in the next weeks.
* Nobody hindered to work on any item, but it's in not in top
priority all board and other resources should be invested into that.
* Not doing everything at the same time.
* Organize our resources, have common understanding what's next
and what comes after that.
* First step - what is missing from this list?
Topics sorted alphabetically:
(Updated during this call, so changed since LibOCon meeting)
* Advisory board and cooperation
* Business entity
* App stores
* Commercial activities
* Capital investment
* Communication hints and rules for international audience
* Community bylaws
* Tooling: Community participation, tools for developers
* has to be balanced against cost of change (Thorsten)
* migration done in single steps, e.g. Easy Hacks? (Paolo)
* should be driven by developers and new dev mentor (Thorsten)
* support this (Michael)
* goal is also to get new contributors, some might find current
tooling complicated (Paolo)
* Conflict of interest and tenders
* Diversity and inclusion
* Education, universities and schools
* Events, conferences, LibOCon 2021 and Hackfests, physical and virtual
* LibreOffice Online
* LibreOffice Mobile (Android and iOS)
* Marketing plan and growth and diversification of the ecosystem
* Next next decade manifesto
* Public sector: activities with e.g. Kiel, Dortmund or Treuchtlingen
* Trademark policy, branding, OpenOffice brand
* Lothar: Any urgent item not on this list?
* Goal is to have a ranking/priorities in the end, to focus resources
and engagement to.
* Nobody hintered to work on other topics, but board's top priority
should go on what's ranked.
* Emiliano: Can we use something similar as for tender ranking?
* Lothar: Can we re-use that, make it 1-15?
* Michael: Agree, don't make it too complicated.
* AI Florian: put items in a spreadsheet by Monday (to factor changes
in), circulate for ranking, to be ranked within the next week.
Agenda items of Private part
3. Inform & Discuss: wealth management for foundation capital stock,
evaluating meeting, proposal from Stephan, further steps
(Stephan/Florian, Lothar, board members 10min)
Reason why in private: confidential information about finance
Rational: evaluation and further steps
4. Last-minute: LibOCon update (Florian)
5. Last-minute: LOOL discussion (Thorsten)
Private meeting ends at 14:03 Berlin time.
Lothar Becker (Session chair)
Stephan Ficht (Keeper of the minutes)
Florian Effenberger, Executive Director (Geschäftsführer)
Tel: +49 30 5557992-50 | Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Document Foundation, Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin, DE
Gemeinnützige rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Legal details: https://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint
To unsubscribe e-mail to: email@example.com
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/board-discuss/
- [board-discuss] Board of Directors Meeting 2020-10-23 · Florian Effenberger
Impressum (Legal Info)
: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images
on this website are licensed under the
Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is
licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2
"LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are
registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are
in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective
logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use
thereof is explained in our trademark policy