The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2020-09-25
Session chair: Lothar Becker
Keeper of the minutes: Stephan Ficht
In the meeting:
Lothar Becker (Board Chair), Cor Nouws (Board Member), Thorsten Behrens
(Board Member), Michael Meeks (Board Member), Emiliano Vavassori (Board
Nicolas Christener (Board Deputy), Paolo Vecchi (Board Deputy)
Florian Effenberger (Executive Director), Ilmari Lauhakangas (Team),
Sophie Gautier (Team), Italo Vignoli (Team), Stephan Ficht
Marina Latini (Membership Committee), Uwe Altmann (Membership Committee
Deputy), Dennis Roczek (Membership Committee Deputy)
Representation: Nicolas Christener for Daniel Armando Rodriguez, Paolo
Vecchi for Franklin Weng
subject "Representation statements")
Chairman of the Board is in the meeting. One of the Chairman or Deputy
Chairman is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.
The Board of Directors at time of the call consists of 7 seat holders
without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of
the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of
Directors members are attending the call.
The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in
the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and
invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.
The meeting is quorate and invitation happened in time. From now on,
motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those
remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.
The meeting commences at 13:02 Berlin time.
1. Q&A: Answering Questions from the community (All, max. 10 min)
Rationale: Provide an opportunity for the community to ask questions
to the board and about TDF.
+ some questions/remarks? (Lothar)
+ thing coming up causing friction (Ilmari)
+ between volunteers and commercial entities
+ regressions and how to handle them
+ volunteers have a confused view of how development works
+ some of them think developers should have a responsibility
to fix all regressions - 1 week, 1 month, or years old
+ different companies have different approaches here
+ TDF should invest in automated testing to reduce this problem.
+ why does that help ? (Lothar)
+ people do a change, and it breaks something (Ilmari)
+ problem is 'when' - ideal time is when it is being developed
+ everyone can see then.
+ some frustration around specific regressions (Lothar)
+ it's a big topic, concerns whole history of LibreOffice (Ilmari)
+ fully agreed (Thorsten)
+ everyone including devs most happy to catch problems early.
+ an ~infinite effort to make it watertight
+ but some areas are under-tested right now.
+ proposal - prepare something in the ESC
+ perfect world is impossible but can do better (Cor)
+ Sophie (in chat): Just to second what Ilmari said,
this is often discussed in the FR community too
+ Xisco is already writing many UI tests (Michael)
+ which is really good.
+ ESC gets to vote on ideas anyway (Michael)
+ can we get input on where to focus the work ?
+ which areas catch the most regressions ?
+ can we increase coverage cheaply ?
+ more complex integration testing good (Ilmari)
+ perhaps including databases etc.
=> collect ideas, and see what we can do in the ESC.
+ expect tooling is not a fix for communication issues (Lothar)
+ alternative is commercial companies (Ilmari)
+ can elaborate minute details of contracts with clients
+ getting investment into LibreOffice is hard (Michael)
+ there is a very long tail of risk here that is ~hard to price
+ a development mentor ? (Kendy)
+ when a patch is merged, something that should have a unit test
and does not
+ can poke them and ask them to create a unit test for that.
+ even some senior developers don't do that.
+ setting realistic expectations & understanding with users (Michael)
+ also an important part of this.
2. Discuss & Organize: Status & further steps in the subgroups with: a)
marketing plan b) tender streamlining c)app store offering TDF d) TM
licensing (All 15 min)
Rationale: Discuss and identify the next steps
a) LibreOffice 7.0/7.1 marketing plan
Status: Paolo, Franklin, Michael, Thorsten, Mike, Italo continue
working on this, Follow-on meeting was done, information/what is
uncontroversial and could be decided to be done now
+ shared an updated version (Italo)
+ has not changed that much
+ a few pages with action items.
+ now shorter and easier to read, and a ver. with just AIs
+ plan to move quickly on bits that are not controversial
+ ingredient brand, spread across the website.
+ announce this before the conference, will be discussed there
+ some action items related to legal issues - not touching.
+ some need discussing with the community.
+ idea: label for LibreOffice release managed by TDF
+ Personal vs. Community and/or others ...
+ we should start discussing this
+ agenda for next marketing call -
+ scheduled for week before the conference
+ October 8th.
+ have as a 1st step of discussion.
+ reduce the number of places the discussion happens:
+ no bugzilla, redmine - all on mailing lists.
+ restrict the vote to TDF members here - to
avoid making it an endless discussion.
+ avoid mascot-style problems
+ summary (Lothar)
1. marketing bits can be decided / uncontroversial
do we need here a vote ?
+ what is planned not so clear (Michael)
+ may need decision on use of LibreOffice Technology (Italo)
AI: + can you write a paragraph on the decision (Lothar)
+ what should we vote on ?
+ if no veto in a reasonable time - just act.
+ have some feedback to share (Marina)
+ how do you prefer to get that ?
+ before the next marketing call or ?
+ asking for the overall plan ? (Lothar)
+ or for the Technology bits ?
+ includes this (Marina)
+ would like to understand where to share feedback.
2. needs a defined way to provide feedback (Lothar)
where to send this (Marina)
+ either board-discuss or public marketing list (Italo)
+ lets use the public marketing discuss list (Florian)
+ send an E-mail to board-discuss & send it all to
+ we should have some moderation here (Lothar)
+ should have clear questions / opinion from membership
+ Probably a good idea starting with AI in MarCom
+ We will clarify AI in the next Marketing Call (Italo)
+ is that Italo ? and when does the process end ?
+ when will we definitely decide ?
+ not later than end of Nov. (Italo)
+ we expect heavy public discussion (Lothar)
+ should make it clear that group that
decides is members so we get to a decision (Italo)
b) KG22.01 - Streamline Tendering Process in 24 months
Status: Nicolas, Lothar and Florian had first call. Documents and
process description in the works.
* last call skipped, todos are the same (Lothar)
* need to schedule another call
* Can we have minutes of the meetings? (Emiliano)
* Yes, will send you, Nicolas took some notes (Lothar)
* Marina (in chat): for the various subgroups, e.g. tender, could
be possible to share the minutes with the MC?
KG22.01.1 - Two more tenders signed in 6 months
Status: X-ray debugger in review/evaluation; ODF 1.3 awaits
publication wrt. KG22.01
c) form sub-group to work out and publish business entity proposals
Status: Criteria list (Lothar) Draft proposal for Luxemburg entity
(Paolo), next meeting orga(Thorsten) -
Thorsten, Michael, Nicolas, Paolo, Lothar: due to holidays a part
of the subgroup did coordinate, Lothar will update his criteria
list/problem statement with feedback, Paolo to follow-up with ministry
for clarification of details
* had various meetings with ministries (Paolo)
* need to check possible limitations around the kind of entity,
follow-up meeting next week
* no serious objections - From Board or community (Paolo)
* quite some silence after initial discussion, not much is
happening - From the Board or community (Paolo)
* waiting for input, vacation times, previous proposal was not
* there was an action for Florian to get a German proposal? (Michael)
* also on Thorsten's plate.
d) from subgroup to work out proposal for handling outrunning TM
licenses End of September
URL: https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/3319 (not
public, I think this was a fault from me, should be public ticket?)
Status: Subgroup came up with a proposal
* text seems fine (Paolo)
* investigating other alternatives like new entity, TDF going to
app stores itself etc.
* proposal to extend the existing agreement for 3 months, then see
where we stand
* cancellation clause when alternative is available
* like to help in the sub-group (Emiliano)
* renewed already for 3 months, since we saw the end of the tunnel
* perhaps wise to extend for six months not three.
* not worried as long as terminates when alternative is there
AI => produce text to prolongate this for E-mail vote (Paolo, Cor,
3. Inform & Discuss: Status of redmine tickets of last board meetings
(Lothar, Stephan/Florian, All 10 min)
Rationale: Clarifying what is pending, questions to reports in
redmine tickets, and what todo, who is caring, until when, it is not the
intention to speak about all, but the important or urgent ones
Just to be discussed if any news on:
Membership Committee election (Florian)
Status: done, first meeting was hold, information about it
+ all accepted roles, members filed with authorities
+ MC first meeting yesterday (Marina)
+ nothing very special, caught up with filing.
+ will start to work on other topics soon, just 1 meeting.
+ for technical reasons on MC list to help if some tech. issue
coordination of LibOCon internal meetings (Sophie)
Status: are communicated, clarifying what will be the agenda
especially for the joined body meetings
AI * agenda will be drafted by Lothar, Franklin and Florian
* shared via board pad or Nextcloud, to be edited by all board members
Digital tool for participation improvement
Status: how are tests running? See last discussion about Open letter
MC with the issue to have a better tooling for members involvement in
discussions and decisions
Public meeting ends at 13:44 Berlin time.
Agenda items of Private Part
4. Discuss & Decide how to proceed: grandfathering/change clauses for
future TM agreements (Florian, all 5min)
Reason why in private: confidential information about legal clauses
Rationale: clarify status quo and pending questions/trademark
grants, evaluation and further steps
5. Discuss & Decide how to proceed: Pending questions wrt. the license
inquiry of an Italian Company about LibreOffice online (Florian/Lothar,
Reason why in private: confidential information about trademark inquiry
Rationale: clarify pending questions/trademark grants, evaluation
and further steps, see started email discussion
Private meeting ends at 14:00 Berlin time.
Lothar Becker (Session chair)
Stephan Ficht (Keeper of the minutes)
Florian Effenberger, Executive Director (Geschäftsführer)
Tel: +49 30 5557992-50 | Mail: email@example.com
The Document Foundation, Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin, DE
Gemeinnützige rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Legal details: https://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint
To unsubscribe e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/board-discuss/
- [board-discuss] Board of Directors Meeting 2020-09-25 · Florian Effenberger
Impressum (Legal Info)
: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images
on this website are licensed under the
Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is
licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2
"LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are
registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are
in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective
logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use
thereof is explained in our trademark policy