Re: [board-discuss] Project vs product (and some comments to product itself)

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 10:47:50AM +0200, Telesto wrote:
And how does this differ from the development teams behind MSO, OnlyOffice?

If you cant see how setting up a project where contributors work according to
their own agenda, motivation, goals and ambitions compared to being directed by
a centralized management which is not even contributing themselves is very
different, I dont know how to help you. The first is the promise and hope of
multi-agent open source.

I proposed already something about pay you're price. So prefilled 5 euro (my
adjust by income of the country); which can be adjusted by the customer.  So
we get also an impression what people are willing to pay (for better
support/more bug fixes etc).

Sure it would be nice if users would donate more. However, even if donations to
TDF would increase by a factor of ten it would barely be enough to sustain the
status quo from that alone without ecosystem and unpayed volunteer contributions.
That is, if TDF would even be suited to effectively spend that money. The
progress on tenders this year continues to show that to be challenging.

So donations alone are unlikely to have an significant impact on the projects
health now or in the near future.

is LibreOffice in such a bad shape? Based on your assessment I would expect
the user base to be larger ;-).

You for some reason seem to still measure the success of LibreOffice by the
size of its userbase. The LibreOffice project and TDF are the wrong place to
discuss that, here it is all about contributors. _If_ you really want to
eagerly talk about the size of a user base, I suggest you apply for a job in
marketing at one of the ecosystem companies. Because unlike here, that is where
that is where the number of users are relevant.

In a project you're allowed to break things and keep it that way for a
while, this bad for reputation for commercial product.

LibreOffice is no commercial product and it has to take care about motivating
its contributors. Case in point, that was one of the reason I created bibisect
for LibreOffice QA back in the days. It was not primarily for users, but to
keep the balance between different active contributors: With bibisect, each
contributor was owning up responsibility for the impact of their contributions
and made those transparent to the rest. But the forum that decided what is
acceptable and what is not are the active contributors -- and nobody else.

Best,

Bjoern