Re: [board-discuss] Project vs product (and some comments to product itself)

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 06:10:51PM +0200, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
Telesto wrote:
From internal perspective (so within the organization of TDF)
LibreOffice is viewed, managed, and functioning as a project.

and

LibreOffice for the end-user is pretty often associated with a
product.

True, that is a good description of the status quo.

Quite. A notable distinction is that the first reflects mostly a reality, while
the second is only a perception that has no base in reality. Therefore one
shouldnt build strategy on or conclusions from the latter, and focus on the former.

And yes, the latter might be a hugely _popular_ perception in a specific
audience. That still doesnt make it one bit true.

Telestro wrote:
If I get beer for free from the brewery ...

Software and beer markets are not acting the same. If I give away one beer for
free, that leaves still a lot of beer of the same quality to be sold even in
the same town. If I give away one specific software for free, nobody will buy
software of the same quality anywhere on the world anymore.

So lets not do beer analogies, please.

Thorsten wrote:
I cannot speak for Bjoern, but what resonated well with me is the
"project over product" (or also called "community over code"
elsewhere) line.

Which says, to be successful in the long term, the advise is to
generally favour community needs over user needs (and as a corollary,
also focus marketing on attracting more contributors, rather than more
users).

That is a very good summary of the guidance I tried to express, thanks!

Best,

Bjoern