Re: [board-discuss] New Version of Strategic Marcom Plan

On 15/07/2020 16.05, Italo Vignoli wrote:
A new version of the strategic marcom plan has been uploaded to
Nextcloud: https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/4pLtn9xn76BkxFK

Please refer to this version for your comment, as it clarifies some
specific points which were raised during the discussion, although not
mentioned at all in the previous slide deck.

Thanks for this new version.

Since Dries Buytaert's blog post “Balancing Makers and Takers to Scale
and Sustain Open Source” got multiple slides (slides 10-13), and there
were various discussions and different opinions on what use of
LibreOffice is considered morally acceptable and what is not, I think
it's worth reading the actual blog post [1] to get a clearer
understanding of how the term "takers" is used there; quote:

Next, I'd like to extend the distinction between "Open Source
software being a public good" and "Open Source customers being a
common good" to the free-rider problem: we define software
free-riders as those who use the software without ever contributing
back, and customer free-riders (or Takers) as those who sign up
customers without giving back.

All Open Source communities should encourage software free-riders.
Because the software is a public good (non-rivalrous), a software
free-rider doesn't exclude others from using the software. Hence,
it's better to have a user for your Open Source project, than having
that person use your competitor's software. Furthermore, a software
free-rider makes it more likely that other people will use your Open
Source project (by word of mouth or otherwise). When some portion of
those other users contribute back, the Open Source project benefits.
Software free-riders can have positive network effects on a project.

However, when the success of an Open Source project depends largely
on one or more corporate sponsors, the Open Source community should
not forget or ignore that customers are a common good. Because a
customer can't be shared among companies, it matters a great deal for
the Open Source project where that customer ends up. When the
customer signs up with a Maker, we know that a certain percentage of
the revenue associated with that customer will be invested back into
the Open Source project. When a customer signs up with a customer
free-rider or Taker, the project doesn't stand to benefit. In other
words, Open Source communities should find ways to route customers to
Makers.

I personally agree with the above.
Obviously, it doesn't mean that everybody needs to be of the same
opinion. :-)

Best regards,
Michael

[1]