Re: [board-discuss] Re: [tdf-members] Discussion about options available with marketing plan draft and timetable

Hi all,

Justin Luth schrieb am 13-Jul-20 um 13:08:
I think the best solution probably lies in just using simple branding of "LibreOffice", and "LibreOffice LTS" for eco-system branding.

I support this. In addition LibreOffice partners should be allowed to put a "powered by XYZ" on the start screen.

As many have already said, LibreOffice Personal implies licensing - which simply isn't true, and so is a particularly bad term. > LibreOffice Community edition implies crippleware - which currently is not true, and is not the intended direction. So also a poor term.

"Edition" itself is dangerous too, because it implies, that the download from TDF might not contain all features.

The factual distinction currently between TDF LibreOffice vs Eco-system versions is rolling releases vs Long Term Support releases. Since "LibreOffice Rolling" would hold no meaning for most people, it is best to go with the common suggestion to just stick with "LibreOffice". LTS is a fairly common term for business-focused open-source, and thus "LibreOffice LTS / supported by XXX" provides a branding distinction that immediately conveys confidence and desirability to the business sector.
Another distinction is the kind of support.

To make these more visible, I can think of changes for the download page:
Introduction
Download option "fresh"
Download option "still".

Introduction
The Document Foundation (TDF) provides LibreOffice releases on a /time based cycle/. TDF provides a feature release half yearly, followed by usually six bug fix releases.

Other versions, including long-term support versions, and special services for the needs of companies and larger organizations are available from LibreOffice partners, read /<site to be created>/ for more details.

[// are meant to be links.]

Remove the comment "If you're a technology enthusiast, early adopter or power user, this version is for you!" from "fresh"-rectangle.

Replace the comment "This version is slightly older and does not have the latest features, but it has been tested for longer. For business deployments, we strongly recommend support from certified partners which also offer long-term support versions of LibreOffice." with the comment "Last bug fix release for this LibreOffice series is in <month year>".

The short time where bug fixes are available for a LibreOffice series, should make it clear to companies, that they need a different solution than just downloading LibreOffice.

On a related topic, I also wanted to comment on the underlying tone that some segments are using LibreOffice, but not contributing. I think that is hard to measure because open-source is a very large field, and in my opinion, anyone who invests well in open-source anywhere should have the moral right to use all open-source products. So for example, a company that supports a lot of code development for GIMP shouldn't be shamed for not contributing/donating directly to LibreOffice even if they heavily use it.  For me, it made most sense to "pay" for our open-source use as a volunteer LibreOffice developer.

This is an important aspect. Shaming people for not paying for LibreOffice without knowing the background is not the right way.

Kind regards
Regina