Re: [board-discuss] Some problems.

Hi

sorry by being late on this.

Am 07.07.20 um 22:13 schrieb Michael Meeks:
Nevertheless there are some big problems currently. Perhaps
you think you have a neat solution to one of them. I'd love to hear
about it - but solving or obsessing about just one is unlikely to do
the job:

Ok, then some of my ideas to do by TDF

TLTR?: Become a professional managed organization (or or at least create a sufficient
professionalized organizational segment - "from professionals for professionals"). Which also
means: Take the tight resources of the TDF not to solve every problem in a do-it-yourself mentality
but to get them solved with/by professional help.
Teach people that LibreOffice is not the gratis version of MS Office but a real great idea which
they can and shall support in various ways. Till this field, then economic returns can be seeded
and grow there; and this is something TDF can do. Don't try to force the TDF to do what it cannot
(by statutes and/or by law) do; if it is a really important issue, create an independent structure
for it.

Full Text:

1. Pay a ~professional to deliver a migration white paper for small, medium an large enterprises
respectively. With does clearly mention the advantages of a professional support contract. With
professional layout and management summary and whatever else it takes to get it read by a lot of
interested people. Base this on a sound analysis of requirements, not only on marketing labels (as
written somewhere else).
Therefor look for advice from marketing experts (NOT of sales or PR or communication or the like
professionals who call themselves "marketing expert"!) (sorry Italo, you are undoubtedly a highly
qualified communications professional, but you're not doing marketing in my sense).

1a. Even if they are true, avoid statements like "...and can significantly reduce the Total Cost of
Ownership of enterprise PCs because it replaces the license cost with a substantially lower
migration cost" in an official document (LibreOffice Migration Protocol, p. 1 in this case)!
Anyhow, the migration protocol seems to be a good starting point.

2. Pay a full time LO developer to do mentoring workshops on a regular base, embedded by a
communication campaign also led by a PR ~professional, advertising these workshops in local (modern
social) media. I. e.: For Germany/DACH rent Linux hotel for one week and offer a hacking LO
workshop there for (nearly) free - and advertise that widely in DACH media (not only IT centered
ones), based on a ~sound media analysis of what is read by our targeted group. Both effects -
educating/recruiting programmers and having a widespread LO image campaign - will be worth the
money.
Besides that we still suffer from the "OpenOffice - oops, I meant LibreOffice"-effect (OpenOffice
meant a as class of software, not perceived as a distinct product vs. LibreOffice) and still have
to establish the right name for the right product by an image campaign.
Develop this an a "standard"-module (by documentation, standard teaching material, checklist, do's
and don'ts...) to encourage local communities to copy that for their country (similar as the
conference is a teamwork between la local community and a professional, experienced orga-team at
TDF). Send them the developer in case of need.

3. Pay a ~professional organization to deliver a basic set of training materials under a CC license
(i.e. attribution share-alike). Which may then been translated by the community - or enterprises
using them. Lack of local training capabilities often seem to be the bottleneck of migration
projects, so we should enforce them.

5. Set up a professional qualification structure (like lpi) with certificates and all this stuff.
At least give the picture of doing so.
"LibreOffice Certification is completely different from commercial certification... TDF is looking
for LibreOffice Ambassadors, able to provide value-added professional services to grow the
LibreOffice ecosystem."[1] is a nice try but will not foster commercial organizations to trust in -
rather to get suspicious.

6. Stop trying to use TDF as a selling point. Won't work and even worse damage the project. It's ok
to express concerns where TDF is standing in the way of business (or "ecosystem") interests and
helping it stepping aside. But having the managers in charge of all of the tree "ecosystem
partners" mentioned on our website [2] as members of the BoD leaves me pondering.
Perhaps we should also put a definition of what is an "ecosystem partner" (and what to do to become
one) on that page.
btw: this page [2] should imho not be in "downloads" but in "Discover".

6. ...still thinking...

[1] https://www.libreoffice.org/about-us/certification/
[2] https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-in-business/
--