Re: [board-discuss] LibreOffice Personal & TDF's statutes & purpose

Hi Kev,

thanks for your feedback and see inline my comments.

On 09/07/2020 19:41, Kev M wrote:
It would be better to call it "LibreOffice Unsupported" and
"LibreOffice Paid Support" instead of using the terms "LibreOffice
Enterprise" and "LibreOffice Personal".
Note that we are talking about adding a tag line, if the Community
agrees, and that you are very welcome to propose the tag line you would
like to LibreOffice which, apart from the tag line, won't change in
anything else.

As described in the proposed marketing plan, in the communication we
sent out Monday and on various channels there won't be any product
called "LibreOffice Enterprise" coming out of TDF, that's only a
collective name we are proposing for the members of the ecosystem.

You're arguing that using the term "community" creates confusion
because of other open source projects providing the same tagging. But
some of those projects also use "Enterprise" to describe their paid
versions, and those versions have different features than their
community editions. So I don't get the argument that allowing for the
"Enterprise" tag is OK, but a "Community" tag is not.
Once again there won't be any "Enterprise" tag in any version of
LibreOffice.

Community makes sense to us as we are the LibreOffice Community and I
also like it as potential additional tag for LibreOffice but...
out there, for people that don't know anything about Open Source
communities, the term community means something else like a help group
that helps you kicking the habit.

It's like FLOSS, we know what it means but my kids find it annoying. It
seems like they prefer to go to the dentist than flossing their teeth ;-)

I've read and understand the context of the marketing plan, as well as
Michael's article on business models. I understand the intent; but
there is uncertainty about LibreOffice as a sustainable project as is
being alluded to by Michael and other ecosystem partners and this is
being used as a veiled threat to introduce changes that haven't
received proper community consultation. A statement by TDF saying
there is no plan to do these things, while continuing to discuss
moving to an edition system, is the left hand washing the car while
the right hand throws dirt --- or some better idiom than this.
We are tasked to propose and promote changes that help
sustaining/growing the Community which develops LibreOffice.
You, being part of the Community, have the right and the duty to do the
same and to stand for election next time so that you can propose your
ideas to the Board, you can do it also now without being in the Board
BTW, discuss them, see if they make sense, and then propose them to the
Community. This is what we are doing now.

AFAIK Michael complains and says that we are all doomed every so often
but when he doesn't do that he's a nice chap and a very valuable member
of the Community. At least we have a wide range of views ;-)

To point to links and mailing lists that anyone under the age of 40
probably does not use regularly is not a good way to engage with your
community. Several suggestions have been made and it seems like
certain people are resistant to them without giving legitimate reasons
beyond "this is always how we've done it, you should have checked
instead. It's your fault for not flooding your email inbox with chatter."
One of the things I most hate is hearing/reading people saying "this is
always how we've done it", those are the people that keep doing the same
stuff because are scared of change or can't be arsed to change.

I'm over 40 and I've used/I'm using quite a number of communication
channels, mailing lists are not sexy but are still a decent tool for
asynchronous communication that can be threaded.

Could you recommend other tools that could be even more efficient which
would not make us dependent on a third party and that really care about
everyone's Privacy?

It's easy to use new toys that pop in and disappear after a few months
or years but we think that we should host as much as possible ourselves
to satisfy even the most paranoid Privacy activist (here I am) and
archive our mailing list to be accountable.

Please do offer us your advice.

(There are 40 upvotes and 0 downvotes on this comment:
https://forums.theregister.com/forum/all/2020/07/07/libreoffice_community_protests_at_introduction/#c_4067368
) Obviously how it's been done before is not working because people
are upset and concerned about the project. So I'd encourage some
self-reflection in resisting calls to use modern software
infrastructure for the project to communicate better with
stakeholders/donors beyond those who have the privilege to be paid to
work on the project.
I read The Register (hi guys!) practically every day and I like the fact
that there are a lot of interesting and useful comments to articles.
Some comments with knowledge of what they are talking about some others
may not have yet a clear view of the issue.

The point is that I'm pleased that many came out to complain, got
clarifications and now they are contributing to improving the project.

Cheers,
Kevin
Ciao

Paolo

--
Paolo Vecchi - Deputy Member of the Board of Directors