Re: [board-discuss] LOOL user experience

El 2020-05-22 16:05, Andras Timar escribió:

This was totally a pain. The lack of any consistent documentation (until May 5 in the INSTALL file there was just written "Left as an exercise to
the reader") was one of the biggest problems. The only way was to rely
on old blog posts found on the internet.

Until recently the consensus was that TDF releases source tarballs for LOOL. So there was no demand to write documentation how to create packages, how to build a "product".

It's not about creating a product but implementing a solution, that's the key.

On the other hand it is fully documented in the source code in README files how to build as a developer, if someone wanted to hack on the code.

The docker/l10n-docker-nightly.sh is also quite self-explanatory. (For those, who don't know what it is: it builds a docker image from source.)

Another totally undocumented topic (obviously I refer to the official
documentation on wiki.documentfoundation.org) was the configuration of a reverse proxy to work with LOOL, essential since configuring LOOL to use
a non-self signed certificate is even harder.

As TDF did not release binaries, I don't know who would look for such documentation in TDF wiki. Collabora published documentation for CODE, e.g.:

https://www.collaboraoffice.com/code/apache-reverse-proxy/
https://www.collaboraoffice.com/code/nginx-reverse-proxy/

But there are other good sources of information, too, from integrators.

From the community you may want to make implementations that, for example, do not show warnings. If the implementer is willing to deal with that, why not let them?

Another hot topic, for me at least is to provide vendor neutral information.

I even agree with Simon: deploying online is horribly hard. I've been

I disagree. It's a myth. Yes, it can be hard, when firewalls, load balancers, 50000 users etc. are involved. It's the case when one needs professional support. But for the hobbyist, how hard is it to install CODE with a few clicks in Univention, or to follow my "5 minute" guides?

https://www.collaboraoffice.com/code/quick-tryout-owncloud-docker/
https://www.collaboraoffice.com/code/quick-tryout-nextcloud-docker/

Vendor neutral point applies here too.

And I am aware that without C'bora/CIB there would probably be no LOOL, but we are TDF.

--
Daniel Armando Rodriguez