Re: [board-discuss] Hackfests, the next generation: A Call To Action

Hi *,

On this topic, I just probed the idea with Thorsten in my last one on one with him about having a
BoF talk at the two tech Unis in Iasi, Romania, my hometown:

* Faculty of Automatic Control and Computer Engineering, Iasi
* Faculty of Computer Science A. I. Cuza, Iasi (I followed this one)

The reason I think this would be a good idea is that, at least at these two Unis, the C.S.
curricula is still heavily based on systems and C++ programming from the start and with a
traditional bottom to top (architecture, assembly, up the stack) curricula, unlike many other
western ones which migrated to boarding with scripting, web and java for e.g.  For that very reason
there is quite an impressive number of C++ devs (juniors or fresh out of college) on the lookout
for serious C++ work and the opportunity to prove themselves somehow; and if LO wouldn't satisfy
that, don't know what could! :-)

I think this could be a good opportunity to spread the word a little bit, maybe develop a
relationship with the universities and hopefully in the end board new enthusiastic developers.

I don't think I'd have the time to work something up for this semester, but could aim for the next
one. My approach would be to get in touch with the administration, set up an "official" BoF or
talk, then following interest shown, continue with a couple successive getting started
hackfests/marathons during the weekends, at the University. They have Ubuntu/Mint and LO already
installed on all machines AFAIK since many years ago, not to mention that Open Source is really
highly regarded and heavily used in Romania as a whole.

Regards,
Shinnok