Re: [board-discuss] Current state and needs of the admin team (was[DRAFT] Rules of Procedure for the TDF board)

Hi Thorsten, *,

Am 19.09.2012 19:36 schrieb Thorsten Behrens:
Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:

[..]

I can't see where the current admin team - plain volunteer based - did
not cover the above mentioned requirements. Until now all services were
available with reasonable uptime and quality. Please correct me in
case I'm wrong.

Hi Friedrich,

oh, I'm truly sorry if the wording in ยง8 comes across in a way to
suggest the admin team is not doing their job - amended friendlier
verbiage welcome!

Quite the contrary - the admin team, that includes you, has done the
incredible job of building an infrastructure that reliably serves
millions of downloads and millions of pages to our users. What was
our monthly bandwidth usage again, around 6 TB? ;)

Well, my report was not intended for fishing compliments - nevertheless
they are welcome :o))

This is no small feat, and we're beyond grateful to you guys. That
said, you would probably agree with me, that subsets of what the
admin team does needs significant time en bloc, daily attention, and
prompt reaction. In a word, it starts to look like a fulltime job -
and of course that person or contractor would be peer among the
admins, at no time I can see the TDF forego its meritocratic
principles.

I continue not beeing happy, thinking typical community work to be paid
*by the TDF* (from which point should I present the bill for *my* work?)

Ideally, TDF would have the funds to hire any number of people to
fill the gaps that you and others in this thread highlighted - alas,
this is not where we're at so far. So we have to prioritize, and for
me, infrastructure has critical priority - it is an acknowledgement
of your importance, Friedrich. ;)

Whoohh - so many spoons of honey on my bread! ;o))

Well, consider my words as thoughts and concerns - nothing more. I'm
shure You and the board people did think Your decision well.

Let's continue discussing at the conference. :o))

Friedrich
--
Friedrich Strohmaier
- Admin team -