Re: [board-discuss] Work to be done by TDF officers

On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 22:10 +0200, Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:
I'm not against having paid officers in general, but they should do meta
tasks, i.e. rather looking for people doing necessary work - for example
by poking sponsors to provide manpower than doing the work themselves.

        I'm not sure this model generally works so well :-) Sponsors are not
lacking tasks of their own and tend to value the ability to direct their
own resources: that's why they pay them. Having said that I think you
capture something really important:

        If we contract anyone it is critical to ensure that they are someone
who works well with, and is a respected part of the community. Currently
we have plenty of people full-time on the code who (I hope) work in that
capacity: they do some of the less sexy work to allow volunteers to do
the bits they love best, they help mentor people and empower them and so
on - presumably that pattern can work elsewhere too ?

        For example - we're contracting Tollef currently to do some bugzilla
administration around freedesktop: he's the existing sysadmin in that
space, is widely respected and is doing a great job: my hope is that
that is not too controversial a pattern :-)

        Aside from that, we have a ton of un-met administrative needs that go
far beyond system administration: you point out one: fund-raising, there
is a lot more detail around the board that requires significant
investments of time to get right - and these tend to fall through the
cracks.

        Anyhow - it's great to hear about the good work you're doing in the
admin team, that sounds really encouraging, and is much appreciated.

        Thanks !

                Michael.