Re: [board-discuss] Request for TDF server to accommodate alfresco.libreoffice.org

I am requesting the Board of Directors to take an official vote on
this proposal, and I'd just like to explain some of the reasons and
possibilities that make me agitate for Alfresco within the LibreOffice
project.

Cedric Bosdonnat has been implementing CMIS connectivity within
LibreOffice - the recent press release about version 3.6 makes mention
of the Alfresco connectivity. This is an important hitherto-missing
capability within LibreOffice for enterprise users.

While the CMIS connectivity is by no means exclusively targeting
Alfresco, it's worth considering that Alfresco has no other real
equivalent in the Open Source realm at the moment, in its particular
niche, in terms of its maturity and functionality.

But communication between LibreOffice and an Alfresco repository
provides capabilities that equate to Microsoft Office's interaction
with a SharePoint server. This can be a significant consideration for
enterprise adopters of LibreOffice.

To support the current development work on CMIS connectivity for
LibreOffice. it would be a good time to have an internally-operated
Alfresco platform.

If TDF had its own internally-operated platform, Alfresco uptake
within the LibreOffice project would probably be greater than at
present.

Until now, it has been used/experimented with by the English docs team
and a few of the localization projects, but would be a great choice
for TDF's administrative needs, and for other teams such as Design.

But people would undoubtedly feel better if it was self-hosted by TDF.

I've long said that there are natural synergies between the
LibreOffice project and the Alfresco project, and I really think it
would be beneficial to both projects if a relationship was cultivated.

--
David Nelson