Re: [board-discuss] membership application/language and supporters

Hi all,
Hi Norbert,

Norbert Thiebaud wrote on 2012-05-30 17:37:

Just to be clear: It is not my position that we should be
"excluding people who contribute to the success of LibreOffice and the
foundation, "just" because they don't speak English."

oh, no, don't get me wrong - didn't want to put words in your mouths. :-) Just summed things up, exaggerating a bit, to make my point clear.

But, as far as communication with the MC, for membership purpose, I do
not want to put the burden on the MC to find translator to be able to
handle request in any languages.

I see it similar - the main and primary language of the MC, for internal as well as external communication should be English, and it's not the MC's duty to find translators. Of course, looking at the current composition of the MC, we have members inside who speak German, Dutch and French at least, so if they would volunteer to act as gateway, that would be appreciated. Of course, I know you all are busy as many active TDF members, so getting in externals for that task is also worthwile.

I would suggest that the burden to find such proxy is on the
applicant... and that is actually an exhibit of proper interaction
with the community.

Agreed.
I think you didn't get me right. The purpose of the language communities is to provide information about the overall project and help all the members, whatever the language, feel at home and happy to participate and contribute. There is no burden on any sides, it's inside the language communities that the exchange and help should take place to bridge with the other parts, should it be the MC, the board, the documentation or the design part. What we need is some abilities to provide localization (like in QA or on the wiki) in order to inform and attract a large variety of members, but if the communication goes well, membership committee will never be concerned by translating applications. Again, that's exactly the purpose and the aim of the language communities.

Kind regards
Sophie