Re: [board-discuss] membership application/language and supporters

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Florian Effenberger
<floeff@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
Hello,

However, most of us is not all of us, and indeed it is one of our strenghts
that we have a wide, open and diverse community, active in many countries
and on many languages. I really feel uncomfortable excluding people who
contribute to the success of LibreOffice and the foundation, "just" because
they don't speak English.

Just to be clear: It is not my position that we should be
"excluding people who contribute to the success of LibreOffice and the
foundation, "just" because they don't speak English."

But, as far as communication with the MC, for membership purpose, I do
not want to put the burden on the MC to find translator to be able to
handle request in any languages.
Presumably someone, who does not speak English, must be active and
interacting with other local people, and surely at least one of them
must speak enough English to help them fill the form properly, and
decode the answer they receive from the MC.

While of course the main language of the MC should be English, finding ways
of having "proxies", people helping to translate, would be very much
welcome.
I would suggest that the burden to find such proxy is on the
applicant... and that is actually an exhibit of proper interaction
with the community.

I think practically, we can do it similar to the statutes. The "official"
form and rules are in English, but for convenience, we can provide localized
versions, given we find volunteers to translate them. The "binding"
variants, however, should solely be the English ones then (except for legal
texts, but that's another topic I don't want to touch here...).

Agreed, but without exception :-)

Norbert