[board-discuss] Re: Community Bylaws

Hello Florian,

Le Mon, 27 Feb 2012 12:32:42 +0100,
Florian Effenberger <floeff@documentfoundation.org> a écrit :

Hi,

Charles-H.Schulz wrote on 2012-02-06 18:25:

Private sending first. Attached are a set of similar yet simplified
community bylaws. What was modified:

sorry for being so late on this, Charles. Replying in public, since I
think the topic is interesting to everyone.

Our statutes (http://documentfoundation.org/statutes.pdf) foresee at
various places, that we have so-called Community Bylaws. Although the
same term is used, it is not necessarily the same as we have
currently in the wiki. The wiki page of the same title served as
basis for the statutes, so some parts have already been incorporated.

The main points in the statutes where the Community Bylaws are
mentioned are the following:

- § 10 III 1: "Further details on admittance or exclusion from the
board of trustees shall be regulated in the community bylaws, which
are enacted by the board of directors."

- § 12 V: "Details on admittance and exclusion from the membership
committee shall be regulated in the bylaws which are enacted by the
board of directors."

I think we should start with a blank document that only contains
regulations as outlined above. It does not harm if we add some more
to this document. However, keep in mind the following things:

1. Nothing that's already mentioned in the statutes should be
mentioned again in the bylaws.

I disagree ; we need clear bylaws that are easily understandable by
everyone.

2. Regulations in the bylaws cannot be contradictory to the statutes.

Sure that is very important.

3. After the initial set-up, per § 10 III 2 the board can *not* just
change them. We need a vote by the members, and looking at the
participation rate during the LibOCon voting, we should not expect
that everyone replies upon first request. ;-)

But it makes sense anyway :-)

So, my proposal would be to start with a lightweight Community
Bylaws. Other "best practices" might fit into separate documents that
are not subject to such requirements.

Well, I disagree. I think that if you look at our present bylaws
they're mostly valid but only specific things need to be modified and
simplified.

Best,
Charles.

Charles-H. Schulz