Re: [board-discuss] AB-Member and ESC-Member on TDF-Website

Helllo,

Norbert Thiebaud wrote on 2012-02-25 00:59:

ESC member are there in an 'individual' capacity. Their company
affiliation is only relevant to the extent that we try to avoid one
company having too much weight...

the way I read ยง 8 IV of our statues (documentfoundation.org/statutes.pdf), there is no legally binding requirement per se to have only a limited number of affiliated people in the ESC, although it is highly suggested to have similar rules as for foundation bodies there as well. Plus "The board of directors can to resolve the conflict of interest by expelling the necessary number of members from other committee at once, and/or replace member by other members of such committee.", so I propose that we enforce comparable rules. This, of course, requires disclosure of the ESC members' affiliation, if it affects his role there (but only then).

For the AB, that is exactly the oposite. people are there representing
company, so the affiliation is the mandatory information... the name
of the individual representing that company is less important and
susceptible to change at the discretion of the AB-member. so trying to
keep that public list up-to-date with individuals name is an
unnecessary burden IMO.

Thinking about it a second time: The same paragraph as cited above foresees that only 1/3 of the AB has the same affiliation. Therefore, I think knowing the seat holders by name in public is important, so everyone can verify that (remember our rule of transparency).

Without knowing who is member of the ESC and/or AB, nobody could, so to say, "challenge" their composition.