RE: [board-discuss] Membership Committee

Hi :)
I think OpenOffice before the forking was under some fairly strange leadership.  ie a company that
worked hard to increase community participation but not being very trusting of the communities they
had grown = actively blocking many proposed patches and stuff developed by the community.

Once Oracle took over things took a nose-dive and they demanded that people who held high positions
in "their" community stepped down if they were also working in TDF.  I've even heard that Oracle
took ownership of funds built-up by the community and refused to cover community expenses.

So, we are dealing with 2 communities, or 1 fractured community that has been fed mis-information
about each other.  As someone fairly new to the scene i think Apache are pretty much friends
especially compared to profit-hungry organisations such as Oracle.  Hopefully time may heal some of
the wounds but maybe a bit of dirty laundry needs to be aired in order for us to discover which
bits of mis-information people have been fed. Hopefully we can do that a little more sensitively
and compassionately in the future.

Just my 2 cents and quite probably contains inaccuracies as it's mostly stuff i have picked up from
the press rather than at first hand.
Regards from
Tom :)