Re: [steering-discuss] Preparing elections for the membership committee

Hi,

2011/10/30 Florian Effenberger <floeff@documentfoundation.org>

Hello,

André Schnabel wrote on 2011-10-26 21:48:

 as we have discussed previously, the paragraphs about the membership
committee in the current statutes draft differ in some points from what we
have in the bylaws. I hope, I can provide a translation of the relevant
paragraphs early next week. But I want to have some discussion on the
matter already in the first BoD meeting.

a short summary from the last call:

- For the legal set-up of the foundation, we need the elected names. This
would not happen before December 6th.

- In case we have authority approval for the foundation set-up before,
this would delay the set-up until the 6th. (NB: When we will have authority
approval is hard to predict, but more on that soon on a blogpost.)

- For the inital set-up of the foundation, the founder (German association
of FrODeV) is free to name anyone for the MC. They will of course stick to
the voting decision. As soon as the foundation is in place, however, we
have to stick to the election rules set forth in our statues, and they
foresee a 45 day advance notification period of the elections.

- In a nutshell, this means: We either can decide to nominate the current
MC as the first MC and have a "gentlemen's agreement" that they step back
as soon as the foundation is in place, leading to new elections about 45
days later on.

IMHO, I don't see why can we not adopt this option. The current MC proved
that was (and is) impartial and deeply focused on meritocracy, essential
factors for an MC.

For me, the current MC proved that's fully deserving of this gentlemen's
agreement.

I vote for this option.

Best,

David

- Or we indeed wait until the current election is done and nominate those
voted on for the first MC.

Although it might mean a delay, I tend to go for the latter option. This
is much "cleaner", and as we don't know if we will have authority
confirmation before the 6th, we're basically talking about a delay of 2-4
weeks, so be it.

Thoughts?

Florian Effenberger <floeff@documentfoundation.org**>
Board of Directors at The Document Foundation

deleted