Re: [steering-discuss] addition to trademark policy

On 12 Aug 2011, at 10:02, Florian Effenberger wrote:

Hi,

Caolan McNamara wrote on 2011-08-11 12:26:
Alright, swap the logos, default to non TDF one.

if we do so, are there any objections to my proposed trademark policy change? Here it is again
for convenience:

old version:
==
Proper Form: TDF marks should be used in their exact form, neither abbreviated nor combined with
any other word or words. TDF has a set of acceptable logos for general use. If you are not sure
where they are please inquire on our lists. Only the logos that bear the exact mention of the
software name with the mention “The Document Foundation” are reserved for the sole and official
use of TDF as an entity, for instance on splash screens from software builds compiled by the
Document Foundation or DVD labels officially stemming from the Document Foundation. You may not
use this set of logos but only the logos bearing the software name without the Document
Foundation's mention.
==

new version:
==
Proper Form: TDF marks should be used in their exact form, neither abbreviated nor combined with
any other word or words. TDF has a set of acceptable logos for general use. If you are not sure
where they are please inquire on our lists. The logos that bear the exact mention of the software
name with the mention "The Document Foundation" are reserved for two purposes:

* the sole and official use of TDF as an entity, for instance on splash screens from software
builds compiled by the Document Foundation or on official materials from the legal entity itself

* the use within the Projects of the Community - like documentation, marketing or website - when
the respective work is prepared and coordinated openly and transparently, on the appropriate
communication channels, following the Foundation's and Community's principles

/Example: A publisher working on a documentation with a few selected community members is not
eligible for use of logos with the mention "The Document Foundation", whereas the documentation
team itself may freely use it for any project that is coordinated on its mailing lists.

You may not use this set of logos for other than the above purposes, but only the logos bearing
the software name without the Document Foundation's mention.
==

I think this is the correct approach and believe that it will avoid the problems that led to the
IceWeasel fork of Firefox.

S.