Re: [steering-discuss] List discussion & purpose

2011/8/12 Charles-H. Schulz <charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org>

Hello,

2011/8/12 Florian Effenberger <floeff@documentfoundation.org>

To second Florian's point about the private list, and to answer Drew's
requests, it is actually rather simple. There is no decision by principle
taken privately on the private mailing list. In fact the steering-discuss
list is where decisions are being taken (there is no "rest of us" here,
Drew, because I'm on the discuss@ list as well, and I have a strong
feeling
against using that list for SC/BoD discussion.) Private communications
happen in two cases: there's a need for confidentiality in legal terms or
one of us wishes to switch to a more informal mode because he/she cannot
discuss his / her point clearly without feeling uncomfortable in public.

However, note that we have a rule inside our bylaws that's rather clear
about transparency and disclosure: if we have a decision that needs to be
taken care of in confidentiality we must disclose it after a specific
period
of time. Hence the case with our letter of intent to Oracle. I must
reassure
everyone here we don't write such letters every month, very far from that
:)
Last but not least the use of one private list exists in every FOSS
project;
and LibreOffice, just like every other project, does make use of it,
however, we make sure that the decision making process does not happen
there.

Best,
Charles.

Hello guys.

I do agree to what Charles said, but I have some things to say on that:

There should have a public note, somewhere, explaining that private lists do
exist and showing the requirements for a member to be accepted in those
lists. What I think is doubtful is maintaining hidden lists. Note: In my
view, *private* lists are different from *hidden* lists.

Cheers.

--
Paulo de Souza Lima
Técnico em Eletrônica e Administrador

"For people to achieve peace in their relationships, spiritual peace and the
peace among people, it's necessary, earlier, to win the internal battle
between virtues and defects" - Talal Husseini - Acropolitan Philosopher