Re: [steering-discuss] funding for system operations meeting

Hi David,

David Nelson wrote on 2011-08-01 10:10:

Yes, well given that you have root access to my server, it would have
been good for me to talk to you about some "in-depth and detailed"
issues.

well, in that case, I indeed missed it, and I am sorry for that. However, publically announcing it would have defeated its purpose. We wanted only the core group together, to effectively work. Having visitors or interested parties around would not only have make things more complicated, but also from a security point of view, the information simply was not for the public.

Indeed, since you manage one of our external services, inviting you would have made sense - again, sorry for overlooking that, that was not on purpose.

"Work together"? And with the outside world, too, I hope! I posted a
request/proposition to the admins on the website ML a week ago and
still did not get even an answer. I notice sometimes that getting some
attention and cooperation from the libreoffice.org admins is like
trying to get blood out of a stone (and I'm not just talking about my
own posts, others seem to get the same mileage sometimes). So I hope
you at least talked about that kind of in-depth issue too. ;-)

Well - if anyone is interested in hiring a few folks for a 24x7 infrastructure service, feel free and then complain if it doesn't work. Otherwise, I beg some understanding, that we are all busy as hell and try our best to make things happen, and that we do a real good job. Of course, not all is well, but I think the fact that everything works like a charm speaks for itself.

What was your request about?

Precisely the problem seems to be that the sysadmins are a closed
group, unlike other teams in the project, and simply don't seem to
work in the same way as other teams. They might be managing key
infrastructure but it's not a reason for working differently - in fact
quite the opposite, they should be especially attentive to working
openly.... it's not a good tendence, IMO.

We're not a closed group at all. Many of us are lurking on the website and/or moderators mailing list, and jump in. Like Erich and Christian with setting up new websites, Christian investigating mail issues and the like.

What we indeed plan is to introduce the admin team to the public, showing the names and faces behind it, and ways to contact us to be more transparent.

You know, complaining is easy. I myself do nearly a half-day job for TDF, next to my real life, and I'm a bit allergic to generalization. If there is a specific topic that does not work out, please ping us again and let us know. But saying in general, we are totally closed and nothing works is a bit unfair, David. You know better that it isn't that bad.