Re: [steering-discuss] Re: screen-shots Documentation Team

Hi Norbert, *

Am 08.07.2011 15:15, schrieb Norbert Thiebaud:
On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 7:19 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
On 8 Jul 2011, at 13:09, Tom Davies wrote:

Hi :)
Except screen-shots in Windows can't have any useful arrows or circles to point
out the exact thing being talked about in the documentation.
Only screenshots of /Microsoft/ products.

Isn't that exactly what 'Fair Use' is all about ?

Absolutely. Unfortunately "Fair use" is not a term in each and every
juristications of this world. E.g. German law does not know about "fair
use" - but has other ways to prevent misuse of copyright.

But: no matter what the real legal situation might be - Microsoft's
position is that all screen shots taken on a windows system need to
follow Microsoft's rules (what is quite exactly what Tom wrote).

So although I agree with Simon, that we should not be over-cautious,
there is still a legal risk which can easily be prevented. Furthermore,
we would need to set some specific rules for windows screen shots. MS
did protect some of the icons used in Vista, Windows 7 and Office by
registering those in the Design Register in Germany. I never checked
what icons exactly are affected, but it might be illegal to take
screenshots of the Windows File open dialogs.

This all sounds like complete nonsense but we have a quite easy
workaround: take screenshots on Linux.

regards,

André