Re: [steering-discuss] Joining the OASIS Consortium

Hello Dennis,

I guess I can answer as I also happen to be one of the directors of the
OASIS... :-)

2011/6/19 Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>

Since I am receiving reminders about my individual membership in OASIS, I
can answer that question:

No.  There is no specific enrollment period or fixed calendar of
memberships.  Annual memberships are for the full year from the day a
membership application is accepted.

Yes indeed. The membership registration phase is rather simple, but the time
to get the new member representative and/or the team acquainted with the
various tools, intranet, etc. usually takes some time.

Since you are talking about an institutional membership, there will need to
be an official who approves the participation of others on individual OASIS
Technical Committees.

Also, there are IP-policy conditions that apply to membership and
contribution to each OASIS TC.  TC members affiliated with TDF should not
have a conflict with requirements that they are subject to as a condition of
their employment elsewhere.

The relevant page is here: http://oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/ipr  In
short, when it comes to ODF or CMIS the OASIS consortium requires anyone to
leave its patents at the door and renounce any claim to royalty. I think TDF
members will agree to it :)

I also don't know how closely associated someone must be with the TDF to be
able to participate under the TDF membership in OASIS.  If that is not clear
from the application information for organizations, I am sure there are
contacts who can answer any questions about that.

I would suggest that one should be a member of TDF/LibreOffice project. I
would also suggest that if the interested person would like to contribute
technical work to the OASIS TC(s) he/she should apply first to the ESC; if
it's for other (such as the Adoption TC or a more general role) he/she
should be appointed by the SC/Bod. That said, Dennis, am I to understand
you'd be interested in contributing to the OASIS under the TDF umbrella?

Best,
Charles.

 - Dennis