Re: [steering-discuss] About elections

On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 07:02 +0300, David Nelson wrote:
I remember that, some time ago, Michael Meeks suggested OpenSTV as a
tool (http://www.openstv.org/).

        Right. STV (Meek) is a key part of the election and bylaws since it
produces a 'fair' result; it requires ranking the candidates.

        I strongly suggest we simply copy the GNOME process here; this
generates a unique random key per person which is mailed out, and used
instead of a name when voting; thus the voting record can be published,
and independently analysed while keeping it anonymous (outside of the MC
that is).

        The PHP etc. code for the GNOME voting website is here:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/foundation-web/tree/foundation.gnome.org/vote

        With the (per year) voting template mail, and to generate and mail the
tokens the code is here:

        http://git.gnome.org/browse/foundation-web/tree/bin

        To analyse the results, OpenSTV is used I think, and the results
published:

        http://foundation.gnome.org/vote/results.php?election_id=14

        along with the complete voter record:

        http://foundation.gnome.org/vote/votes.php?election_id=14

        It is possible that Maemo re-used the code and made it more generic;
not sure - Dave might know (?).

        I hope that helps,

        ATB,

                Michael.