Re: [steering-discuss] Trademark Policy of the Document Foundation

Hi Michael,

Michael Wheatland wrote (21-01-11 23:33)

I thought a little info might be helpful.
I don't dare mention the product name... but another open source

;-)

product has the following clause in their trademark policy which
allows unwritten licencing of the trademark:

-----
//Use that does not require a written license//
Non-commercial Products that exist solely to support Drupal and its
adoption, use and users may use the Drupal trademark in promotional
materials, such as posters, books, pins, and t-shirts.

Use of the trademark that is merely descriptive of the Product is
acceptable without need of a license. If such description clearly
separates your trademark from the Drupal trademark (e.g. by describing
the Product as "YourProduct for Drupal"). In other words, you would
not need a license to promote the name "TotalTraining for Drupal" but
branding your product so it seems like it comes from Drupal (e.g.
"Drupal TotalTraining") would not be permissible.
-----

This policy has allowed the community to build a huge 3rd party
community support network around their product while protecting their
trademark successfully.

Interesting, thanks for posting,
But as far as I read the current version on the wiki, it allows the same use etc. Or did I miss something?
(http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TradeMark_Policy)

Regards,
Cor