Re: [steering-discuss] Trademark Policy of the Document Foundation

Hi all,
On 21/01/2011 18:41, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
Hi,

Le Fri, 21 Jan 2011 14:21:14 +0000,
Michael Meeks<michael.meeks@novell.com>  a écrit :

Hi there,

On Fri, 2011-01-14 at 15:46 +0100, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
Please find the more or less final draft of the trademark policy of
the Document Foundation:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TradeMark_Policy
        We've done some analysis internally on it, and the good news
is that the text looks fairly good.

        There is some concern about the lack of clarity on whether
        incorporating libreoffice (or other marks) into a domain name
        is allowed - this is an area people often want to tread on,
and we should probably directly address it.

        Similarly - it does not mention including 'libreoffice' into a
        business name - I think we should simply prohibit that.

        So I suggest we add a clarification of both of these to the
end of the "Non permitted use section".

        "Thus uses of the Marks in a domain name, or business name
         without explicit written permission from TDF are prohibited."
That does sound sensible. We should also think about having maybe
differentiated logos...
I'm not sure. Look the Debian logos, very few people know the existence of the two different logos and their usage. It's already very difficult and time consuming to track the name and logo usages, I'm afraid that having different logos will bring more requests, more wrong usages and more difficulties to manage the whole thing.
        Another point is around the licensing of the policy itself; I
suggest we place it under some sort of open license  - e.g., creative
commons attribution share-alike, or something like that, so other
projects can freely re-use it. That is relatively easy to do, but I'd
like to get Karen's feedback first.
That's trivial indeed.
Yes, Bernhard proposal also if I remember well.
        Finally - I just realised that I'd like the "substantially
unmodified" clause to include a few more bundling bits: so

        "Substantially unmodified" means built from the source code
         provided by TDF, possibly with minor modifications including
         but not limited to: the enabling or disabling of certain
         features by default, translations into other languages,
changes required for compatibility with a particular operating system
-        distribution, or the inclusion of bug-fix patches)."
+        distribution, the inclusion of bug-fix patches, or the
bundling
+        of additional fonts, templates, artwork and extensions)

        Since that seems like it is something people would want to
call LibreOffice and just extends the "package other translations"
scope to other common things.

        So - do people have problems with any of that ?
Not from my side. Here's the feedback I gathered elsewhere (from other
lawyers):
-the substantially unmodified clause was found vague so what you just
proposed above might help.
- there was the question of the clause requesting that any distributor
   mentions one can get LibreOffice for free (on our website) and
   provide a link to it. The question was about whether we should
   request distributors to put that more proeminently. I have to say I
   didn't really understand that comment; but the answer was that
   Mozilla does not even allow to make a profit from the distribution of
   the software on a physical medium (you can charge a fee covering
   costs, but not make a profit on it apparently). I think we want to
   leave our clause the way it is, it sounds reasonnable.
+1 to let our clause the way it is.

So a global +1 from my side.

Kind regards
Sophie