Re: [steering-discuss] Re: [libreoffice-website] Website status

Hi David :)

I prefer
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bbnG0Hny0SpccJIZsGp72A?feat=directlink
because it has less information and looks prettier.

Sadly, that seems to be what people want.  Information confuses people and seems
to need to be on subsequent pages.  Also the picture on

http://test.libreoffice.org
took ages to appear and people don't seem to have patience beyond a couple of
milliseconds and when it appeared the first image was 'horribly' complicated.
Isn't it a gif?  Could it be less size byte-wise?

By contrast competitors websites show almost nothing and give almost no
information.  We see pictures of smart people in suits looking at a flashy
computer.  We see pictures of grannies leaning over toddlers both engaged with
whatever is going on on a more sensible looking computer.  We see a young
attractive 'housewife' sitting on over-large creamy coloured sofa either posing
sexily or demurely (or both) and looking at a flashy laptop.  If we ever see the
screen then there is some simple pie-chart of bar-graph or sometimes they risk
showing a line-graph (for business users).

Personally i do like the narrower format because i have not yet followed
'everyone else' to widescreen.  Also for me personally (probably fairly
typically for a linux user) i do prefer having useful information right there
fast without having to dig around for it and the picture is what i personally
like as a linux-user because it show me useful stuff.  The info was well
written, compelling and succinct, telling me exactly the sorts of things that
people ask whenever they find me using OpenOffice (one that still has the Sun
logo).  However, while it may be great for existing linux-users we are not
typical of the general population out-there that we need to reach.

I do think both are great and both do the job of easy access to the download.
The text needs to be somewhere on the site and preferably just 1 click away or
reached when the page is scrolled down, something easy.

I would say keep the one we have already or switch to the one that is closest to
completion whichever one that is.
Regards from
Tom :)

PS this is only my opinion and i might be a little bitter and twisted nowadays