Re: [steering-discuss] Updated draft of the Community Bylaws

On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 21:05 +0100, Cor Nouws wrote:

drew wrote (03-12-10 19:08)

What there is not, that I can see, is a way for the general membership
to remove the board, or a particular member of the board, beyond the
annual elections.
[...]
Without offering any specific details on mechanics for the moment, what
I'm thinking of is a way for the general membership to call for an early
election of the board in such an extraordinary situation.

.... I think the proposed possibility for the members to call on the
BoD on their responsibility, should be a part of the by-laws.

Hello Cor

Right, a clause that one writes with the hope it is never needed.

That said however; it is important, even more so IMO then having the
ability to call a special election at all, that the mechanism for doing
so is constructed such that it is not easily done. While not so onerous
that it is impossible.

So would you call an election because one person was unhappy, of course
not. What if ten people wanted it, or even 20% of the members, IMO no.
50%, maybe. 66% of the general membership calling for the chance to
change the makeup of the board - yes.

One thought here - The one year term for the board members lowers the
need for such a clause, but IMO doesn't drive it to zero.

Well, I'll look forward to reading the ideas of others on this and work
on refining a more specific proposal over the next one or two days.

Best wishes,

Drew