Re: [steering-discuss] Updated draft of the Community Bylaws

Hi,

David Nelson wrote on 2010-12-02 11.28:

I added some numbering to the notes to allow for easier discussion here...

hm... where?

[REVIEWER'S NOTE 06: COULD THERE MAYBE BE A SPECIAL ARRANGEMENT FOR
TAKING IN NEW MEMBERS FROM THE COMMUNITY WHO WERE NOT INVOLVED IN OOo?
IN ANY CASE, IS IT A GOOD IDEA TO HAVE THIS PURPORTEDLY TEMPORARY
PROVISION ABOUT OOo PEOPLE HARD-CODED INTO THE PERMANENT BYE-LAWS?]

Good point... if we cannot change the bylaws (that easily), it maybe
shouldn't be in there, as we might not need it after one or two years
anymore.

[REVIEWER'S NOTE 07: PERHAPS THERE COULD BE A SPECIAL
"complaints@documentfoundation.org" MAIL ADDRESS THAT WOULD BE THE
PLACE TO SEND SUCH REQUESTS? THEREFORE, ONE COULD MAYBE MENTION THAT
ADDRESS HERE AS THE PROCEDURAL RULE?]

[REVIEWER'S NOTE 08: PERHAPS THERE COULD BE A SPECIAL
"resign@documentfoundation.org" MAIL ADDRESS THAT WOULD PROVIDE AN
UNEQUIVOCAL RECORD OF WHETHER OR NOT A MEMBER IS DEEMED TO HAVE
RESIGNED? THEREFORE, ONE COULD MAYBE MENTION THAT ADDRESS HERE AS THE
PROCEDURAL RULE?]

[REVIEWER'S NOTE 09: IMHO, A LOT MORE SPECIFIC INFO ABOUT THE
MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE WOULD BE A GOOD THING... HOW MANY MEMBERS? MEETS
HOW OFTEN? HOW WILL MEETINGS BE HELD (CONFCALL?
http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/ ?)? WHAT VOTING RULES? MAYBE
THERE SHOULD BE EXPLICIT RULES CONCERNING APPEALS? HOW LONG IS THIS
"INTERIM PERIOD"?]

Don't mention technologies or addresses in the bylaws, but rather refer
to them as being online or the like. Otherwise, the same issue as with
06 kicks in - we cannot change it that easily, even if technology changes.

[REVIEWER'S NOTE 14: I DON'T REALLY UNDERSTAND THIS SENTENCE. IS THIS
A "MEETING OF COMMUNITY MEMBERS" OR A "MEETING OF THE MEMBERSHIP
COMMITTEE"? DOES THE ANNUAL CONFERENCE HAVE TO BE ATTENDED PHYSICALLY,
OR CAN WE USE AN ONLINE CONFERENCING SYSTEM LIKE
http://www.gotomeeting.com/fec/ (ACCOUNT WOULD HAVE TO BE SPONSORED BY
CITRIX ONLINE) OR http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/ ?]

Dito.