Re: [steering-discuss] Community bylaws

Hi Michael, all,

one question on the ESC:

Michael Meeks schrieb:
Hi Drew,

On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 07:56 -0500, drew wrote:
[...]

The ESC, do you see this as a very active group, for instance working as
the release team, meeting often and looking at individual issues?

        Wrt. looking at individual issues, probably not - unless they have wide
reaching consequences; but to better co-ordinate on the burning issues
of the day, and have a final say on things like:

        "Do we port entirely to Java" (I think 'no' but ... ;-)

        And to be a responsible backstop for technical issues - which often
simply require a decision - any decision being far better than none.

I fully understand the necessity for an entity to decide on mere technical issues.

What I only see described between the lines, is something we should consider, as is has led to a very disappointing situation in OOo:

Can ESC decide on topics related not only to coding and development, but influencing larger parts of the community?

Probably all of you know about the OOo-ESC decision on implementing the color"less" ODF icons.

The topic has been discussed in an ESC meeting, where nobody objected loud, then presented in a blog entry after the first version had been finished and despite very strong opinions against their implementation implemented in OOo3.2.1 with the negative feedback foreseen by their critics.

I don't want to experience another similar situation - well knowing, that the OOo-ESC is special because of Oracle.

But every now and then there will be a situation, where developer have a certain opinion on strategic decisions and directions of development. Marketing and / or UX might think differently. As the developer are the ones able to include their solution in the product, they have a quite strong position. How can we assure that other groups' expertise will have the same impact?

The Bylaws state that the ESC "provides technological guidance on strategic matters". That's guidance, not decision.

Will the BoD be the entity to decide in such a situation?

On which list do we discuss strategic matters at all?

Marketing? Discuss? Steering-Discuss?
A closed list to avoid counter-activity by our competitor(s)?

Sorry for coming up with such a more or less hypothetical case, but I really want to avoid problems as we had them in OOo...

Best regards

Bernhard