On Wednesday 17 Nov 2010 11:48:28 Bernhard Dippold wrote:
Hi Ismaël, all

Ismaël Grammenidis schrieb:
Hi everyone,

For general purposes concerning artwork/design etc. this is a good idea.
The problem is that this list will probably be loaded with many topics,
from splash screens to icons and wallpapers...

That is why I would like to suggest to create a sublist specifically for
the LibreOffice brand (like discussion about the logo and creating
consistent guidelines). This to avoid having 100 mails every day with
topics that are perhaps not interesting to the subscriber.

I don't think that the number of postings there will be so high, but
even 20 or 30 mails are quite a lot.

My problem with more different mailing lists is that many topics are
related to more than one of them. Most artwork has to follow the
branding and visual design guidelines, but will influence branding in a
more subtle way.

Icons are clearly related to branding as well as to visual design and
UX, and imagine someone contributing a proposal for a logo update: With
different lists it will become hard to find the right way.

That list (branding) alone will
probably produce a lot of topics, so I think it would be better not to
merge it together with the design mailinglist.

You're right - at least until we defined the initial and community
branding design.

I think at this time other discussions will step back a bit, because
most of them will have to depend on the branding results.

To differentiate between the topics I'd keep on using [TAGs], that can
be added even inside a thread if it relates to another area of interest.

Even if the OP or the first repliers forget to add the tag, it will
probably be done on one of the following mails, informing list readers
specialized on a sub-area to read the thread...

I know that this is not optimal, but I'd rather like to start this way.

So branding@libreoffice.org would be good to, or evern more specific:
brandmark@libreoffice.org / trademark

This is a really different focus - and if you define branding as the
definition basis for the design, combining it with trademark is really
reasonable.

I don't know if some of the trademark postings need to stay confidential
- OOo used to have a private list for this topic - if not, this might be
an interesting idea.

But even in this case I'd try to keep design topics off this list, but
on design@LibO.

Best regards

Bernhard

With kind regards,
Ismaël Grammenidis

I'm with Bernhard on this, the total mail volume for Branding, UX, Art.
Trademark is a different beast.  Trying to get some consistency across brand
look and feel, and promo art would be enhanced by using a single list and
avoid fragmentation and constant cross posting which was a problem on the OOo
lists.

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org