[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[tdf-discuss] Re: LibreOffice for Academic Work -- College/University
- Subject: [tdf-discuss] Re: LibreOffice for Academic Work -- College/University
- From: Marc Paré <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 18:15:37 -0400
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
Le 2012-05-15 03:32, Marc Paré a écrit :
I need to work out a short note about use of LibreOffice in an academic
environment. What would some of you, who are using LibreOffice, consider
necessary to use LibreOffice in an academic setting.
I am not looking for a "wish-list", but a list of any extensions/add-ons
to LibreOffice that are available right now. Is LibreOffice sufficient
as is, or do any of you have any suggestions of add-ons that are really
needed for such a setting as a college/university/academic environment?
Thanks for any input.
So essentially, what I am getting from this discussion is that:
* LibreOffice can be successfully extended with Zotero, JabRef, Mendely for bibliography work (it exports to LibreOffice); citations can be handled with citing one's bibliography in the document by using 'Insert->citation'; appendices may be built by following instructions described on this referenced post; no need for third party Math tools as LibreOffice handles this well; working with styles can help manage large documents effectively (i.e. page and paragraph styles); other useful extensions: "alternative search", "compose special characters", "linguist", "convert text to number", "notes anchor"; not to mention language support is more than adequate.
There is a need for a few templates for academic use; a built-in bibliographic tool and get the multimedia support for video and sound fixed. Not to mention the on-going thing about file format compatibility with MSO ... hard to get when you can't rely on any kind of standard format from Microsoft.
Would there be anything else?
I am hoping to work on a marketing pamphlet expounding the values of LibreOffice in academia.
 http://www.zotero.org (standalone or plugin)
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to email@example.com
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/discuss/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
|[tdf-discuss] Re: LibreOffice for Academic Work -- College/University||NoOp <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|[tdf-discuss] LibreOffice for Academic Work -- College/University||Marc Paré <email@example.com>|
- Prev by Date: [tdf-discuss] Re: LibreOffice for Academic Work -- College/University
- Next by Date: Re: [tdf-discuss] Re: LibreOffice priorities
- Previous by thread: [tdf-discuss] Re: LibreOffice for Academic Work -- College/University
- Next by thread: [tdf-discuss] Re: LibreOffice for Academic Work -- College/University