Please take this off discuss@ list, it belongs at best on dev list, QA
list, or user list....discuss list isn't the appropriate place.

You can also report a bug (no clue if you did), it will get closed as
NOTOURBUG if it's not our bug.

Thanks.

Best,
Joel

On 2016-03-11, 4:11 PM Tanstaafl wrote:
On 3/11/2016 4:19 PM, Larry Gusaas <larry.gusaas@gmail.com> wrote:

On 3/11/2016 4:19 PM, Larry Gusaas <larry.gusaas@gmail.com> wrote:
No. It is a LibreOffice bug. You broke the usability of LibreOffice
on Macs with your code change.
*I* broke it? Sorry Larry I'm just a user like you.

It's obvious that "you" on a product mailing list refers to the
LibreOffice developers.Quit being pedantic.

It worked before.
Past performance is no guarantee of future performance.

Libreoffice *fixed* a bug that brought to light a Mac bug.

No. LibreOffice broke it's usability on OS X. If it makes a product
for OS X it should work for OS X as it currently exists.
It did not bring to light a Mac bug. The requirement for the older
Apple developed version of Java to be installed has been known for
several years and is mentioned in the installation notes.

By the way, the bug is in Java. The installation of the old Apple Java
is the long-known workaround. The current version broke that
functionality.

Deal with it.

Yeah. Mac users will deal with it. They'll quit using LibreOffice.

It isn't Libreoffice's responsibility to 'work around' everyone
else's bugs.

It is LibreOffice's responsibility to make their product work on the
platforms they make it for.

Any new user of LibreOffice on Macs will find out the database
doesn't work.
No - they will find that a *few* features/functions won't work.

The reality is *most* will never know it.

The lack of Java also affects some extensions .
That is no excuse for making software that doesn't work

It is not Apples's responsibility to make your software usable
There is a *bug* in Apple's provided JRE package that has been there for
a very long time.

The Libreoffice devs finally decided to make a change to their code that
stops 'working around' Apple's long standing bug (at least thats how I
read the comments)...

Actually, it's a bug in Java. You obviously didn't do a lot of
research. Are you a Mac user?

There is a simple workaround that *you* can employ - install the JDK -
until Apple fixes *their* JRE package bug.

And that fact is not mentioned in the installation instructions or in
the release note. And until the release of 5.1 there was no need to
install the JDK. And, unless you are a developer, there is no other
need for it. Besides, it takes up a lot more disk space on your computer.

I have my own workaround. Use a different product.

This bug will create a very negative impression of LibreOffice among
Mac users. That is why I keep reiterating that LibreOffice needs to
fix the problem

Obviously you don't care about Mac users.