[tdf-discuss] enquiry by new user....maybe!

Hi! I am a private user (not a business), owner of a PC with Microsoft writing packages but thinking to download LibreOffice ...for now.......and Linux Ubuntu, later.....to try and stop being the "slave" of Bill Gates and his high prices (and monopoly!).
Before going ahead, I need some clarifications, please:- in my search I read that LibreOffice is better than OpenOffice...but it is not clear why!!??- Downloading for a private is free!!!! How can that be? How does the foundation survive? Is there a catch? Will I have to pay for updates or whatelse?
Hoping you understand my concerns, I thank you in advance! Eros IASILLO Esq.
BSc. (Hons) - Licence es Science
http://erosiasillo.yolasite.com
+33 (0)3 84.48.15.91