Thanks for the good advice. On the chance that others are having similar
problems, I'll respond to your reply interlinearly:

On 3/5/2014 5:57 PM, Terrence Enger wrote:
On Wed, 2014-03-05 at 13:55 -0800, edo1 wrote:
LO 4.2.0 is showing a memory problem that's making it unusable. When I
open a
file in it, the RAM usage starts to climb until LO locks up. I get "Fatal
Error osl:Thread:create failed."

I am sorry that you are having problems.  I presume that it is some
particular file that you are unable to open rather that all files.
Right?

It seems to be a problem with any file have opened up in ver. 4.2. However I
also notice that if I open a file created in  ver. 4.1 and then open one of
the problematic files I can work a bit longer before the ver. 4.2 file
begins to grab memory. My next test was to delete to delete version 4.2,
clean the registry of all references to LibreOffice, and install ver. 4.1.
At first I was having the same problem, but after working with the files for
while it seems that the memory grab happens much, much less frequently.

We can best help you if you file a bug report.  The bug submission
assistant is at <https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/>.  The need
for you to create an account is a nuisance, but we *do* need to be
able to contact you.  Feel free to add me, lo_bugs@iseries-guru.com,
as a CC in the bug report.

As soon as I get far enough along on my own project, I'll return to this,
and if version 4.2 containers to give trouble I'll definitely send in a bug
report,

It will help a lot if you attach the problematic file to the bug
report.  If necessary, you can disguise the contents by changing all
letters to x's, or some such thing.

Will do. I also have dump files I can attach - I'll ask that when I submit
the report.

After LO has pushed the RAM use to  3.9GB  & frozen I must close it
completely, i.e., kill the processes swriter.exe *32, soffice.bin * 32.
&soffice.exe *32

Ah, that sounds like Windows.  Be sure to tell us the version of
Windows.

Sorry I forgot to mention that. Its windows 7 x64.

You may find it helpful to update your LibreOffice.  Within 4.2,
version 4.2.1 is current, and 4.2.2 is available as a pre-release.
Within 4.1, version 4.1.5 is offered; it should be pretty stable.

As indicated above, things are much better in ver. 4.1. Thanks again for the
suggestions - edo1