Hi Mike,

On Wed, 2014-03-05 at 11:44 +0000, Mike Hall wrote:
I'm not sure whether this is the right list, but it will do for a start.

I would like to understand what process is in place for handling
security issues.

        The issue should be reported to security@freedesktop.org this should be
an alias that is easy to find:

        http://lmgtfy.com/?q=libreoffice+security

        However it already has been: read on ...

 The question has arisen because of bug 51819, a serious
security issue which was reported more than 18 months ago.

        You believe this is a serious security issue; it is not my view, nor is
a view I noticed inside the (private) security team list - where this
issue was pointed out many moons ago. Furthermore, there has been some
rather irritating arm-twisteing attempts on this specific bug, that
further dis-interests people in even doing a good-will fix for it.

 Who at a senior TDF level is responsible for managing security?
What are the guidelines for the process? Are these documented?

        We don't have a ton of process; however in attempts to build process to
co-erce engineers who volunteer their time seems to have been the modus
operandi so far =)

FWIW, it would be normal in most applications for security issues to
always be blockers for the next version and to get the highest
development priority.

        Prioritizing volunteer developers' work is a role that lots of people
would like to volunteer for =) Lets pretend I'm appointed as
chief-prioritizer of other people's spare time - let me tell you: Mike
Hall to go fix the issue, send a patch & then we'll merge it for you
[ how is that working out ? ;-]

        Unfortunately it normally doesn't work that well. If you want the
ability to tell people what to do, the normal convention is to pay for
that. If you are a paying RedHat / SUSE / Ubuntu / Collabora / Lanedo /
Igalia etc. customer you get to report and have such issues fixed.
Furthermore the above are present in the security process - and work
hard to make a security and high quality product for their users.

        I'm sorry if that's a bit harsh - but the discourse here has already
plumbed the depths before you arrived =) (not your fault of course); and
there are plenty of things to be working on in LibreOffice.

        All the best,

                Michael.

--
 michael.meeks@collabora.com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot